Forums Latest Members
  1. scotty Nov 6, 2013

Hey guys, did I just get taken on this watch? I was reassured that the watch came from his grandfather and that it is fully original. I'm sceptical about the font in Seamaster though. Your thoughts? I don't think I've seen a vintage watch with the lume in this kind of shape either.

DSC00360.JPG

DSC00364.JPG
  2. scotty Nov 6, 2013

3. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2013

Redial. Fonts and the T's around SWISS MADE are all from the 60's and that's a 50's watch.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 6, 2013

The problem is that the chaps grandfather could have had the dial redone with or without his knowledge as part of a "complete service".
    The case, while in decent shape, does not look unused, so the dial and lume are a mismatch in appears and style.
    If it was a NOS watch, like the 2846 below, this might be OK, but it is not.
    19189-9cbcaf198a84dc44035086a5fbd6e8bc.jpg

Tritium and UncleBuck like this.
  5. scotty Nov 6, 2013

I instictively realized it as soon as I say the watch up close. It's too bad because it comes with box, papers and original thick Omega strap. I now have to try and send the package back.
    Original Omega Strap.jpg

Box & Papers.jpg

Back of Strap.jpg

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Nov 6, 2013

Odd that you warned everyone away from the item, then didn't follow your own advice?

7. scotty Nov 7, 2013

I do believe this is the case unfortunately.

I worked out a good rapport with the seller with the help from another Forums member. Took a bit of a gamble which as it turns out, didn't work out. With a true vintage dial, this is a really nice package. Still is, depending on your point of view.

8. John R Smith Nov 7, 2013

One more subtle but very good test for these early 1950s Omegas is the relationship between the size and centring of the printed OMEGA and the AUTOMATIC just beneath. The bottom of the right hand sloping upright in the 'A' of Omega should line up with the top of the 'I' in Automatic. Very often a redial gets this wrong, as it has here. But of course the 'T' either side of Swiss Made gives the game away straight off, as Dennis points out.

noelekal, connieseamaster and Paul Uk like this.
  9. pitpro Likes the game. Nov 8, 2013

Maybe you could find an original dial loose for it?
    Or maybe buy a nice example and swap the dials?
    Then you have the package you were hoping for.
    Shouldn't be out of the realm

10. scotty Nov 8, 2013

Thought about it. Decided against it. The whole package is on it's way back to the seller.

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 15, 2013

12. scotty Nov 15, 2013

The seller truly believes the dial is original / vintage. I gave him my reasons with a lot of patience. But.....

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 15, 2013

Sent him this message:

"Now you know the dial has been refinished, don't you think you should put that in the description?"

His reply:

"It's not refinished"

A complete idiot.

14. CdnWatchDoc Nov 15, 2013

You just can't fix stupid....

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 15, 2013

Except that I don't think he's stupid, just bull headed, or worse yet, dishonest..

It's a shame, as those original elephant leather watchbands are as rare as hen's teeth.
    gatorcpa

16. John R Smith Nov 16, 2013

Some people seem to feel that they can abandon all the normal conventions of social behaviour once they start selling something. You find them everywhere, in every market - cars and motorcycles, antiques, classic cameras and especially, it seems, selling vintage watches. You know straightaway who you are dealing with if, when you question some detail regarding the watch, you get in reply a load of arrogant and often aggressive bluster. This seller knows exactly what he is doing. Ignore all the rubbish about his supposed grandfather and him only wearing it twice, etc. If the previous owner only wore it twice how come it needed a redial?

Strangely, a few ordinarily decent, kind, polite people can get behind the wheel of a car and become transformed into an aggressive monster. A similar transformation seems to happen when some people fire up eBay ;)

KingCrouchy and SpikiSpikester like this.
  17. CdnWatchDoc Nov 16, 2013

Well said!!:thumbsup:

18. pitpro Likes the game. May 21, 2014

19. ron n May 21, 2014

Warning everyone away lessens the field.