Forums Latest Members
  1. ChrisN Apr 13, 2015

On holiday in Torbay (UK) last weekend and saw this in a bricks and mortar shop. Was not watch shopping and only had 30 minutes to decide. This is not the way to buy but really liking the combination, I took a risk on it. Here it is as bought:
    as bought1.jpg

It's a 166.0002 in RG plate. Looks original to me with a clean, high 24m 565 so about '66. I'm wary of black dials and looking at this through a scratched crystal I was not sure it wasn't marked or redialled. So, back home and de-cased it to see.

Dial when opened. The text is the same colour as the markers but appears whiter here. Lots of little specks and a mark I'd previously seen below the date window that worried me. Don't know why this 'serviced' watch had dust in the case...
    dial before cleaning.jpg
    Dial after blowing/brushing. The mark below the date window came off with Rodico. Just something clinging to the surface. There is a small hand removal mark but invisible to the naked eye.
    dial post cleaning.jpg

I think it's all correct and original (the lume dots are not perfect but never seem to be) however does anyone have any comments?

Here it is with an older YG cap Seamaster. Quite pleased with this so hoping it's all good.
    with yg.jpg

Cheers, Chris

Giff2577, Dr No and tamura like this.
  2. Dr No Jul 2, 2015

Just happened to run across your post while researching this reference. Mine is nowhere nearly as interesting; you've got a sparkler there!

Cordially,

Art

3. ChrisN Jul 3, 2015