Forums Latest Members
  1. gdupree Oct 27, 2017

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-60...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm mostly a Speedmaster guy, but love vintage Seamasters as well. I wanted everyone's opinion of the watch posted above, primarily for learning purposes, rather than any real intentions of buying this. I know redials abound on eBay, so much so that I almost feel like original dials hardly even exist for vintage Seamasters.

To my novice eye, I'd say this dial looks original. Printing looks correct and generally sharp. The condition of the dial looks to be not incredible with the scratches or flaking of the paint. The case at least doesn't appear to have been obliterated by polishing.

Thoughts? Mostly asking because it looks mostly original and I want to learn more about these (new crystal, and the seller says as much). The price looks to be a little under what they typically are sold for, albeit most people are getting ripped off on redials, to which we get probably 10 posts per day around here from people who want an opinion on... Perhaps this thread will help to serve someone who was looking at this watch and was wise-enough to poke around here.

Cheers

2. Edward53 Oct 27, 2017

Looks honest enough but as you have mentioned the dial is not in the best of conditions, plus it looks to have been hit with something pointed in from 2 o'clock and one of the lugs has taken a nasty knock. Hence the pricing.

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 27, 2017

I have a number of 165.002 and 166.002 (date) Seamasters. These were also labeled as Geneve.This particular watch would not be a candidate for me because of the poor condition of the dial. Ironically, the watch is actually worth about what was paid for it because of the parts value. Looks like a clean movement. Case has value as do the hands.
    2017-06-29 001.JPG

Edward53 likes this.