Forums Latest Members
  1. Blacksmith Aug 1, 2015

Hello everybody picked this one up at my local bricks and mortar antiques auction. I have never seen a dial of this type so decided to bid on this one, nobody else was interested so i got it for a song.

omega 14761 001.JPG
    My questions about the dial are,
    1,is this dial scarce or unusual or have i just not seen one before.
    2, Dial has what appears to be raised dots and marks to the varnish finish of the dial, and pits to hands.
    Have any forum members had any experience of cleaning dials, or do we let our watches age gracefully.
    3, Would the hands be solid gold or gold plated in which case polishing of hands would remove plated finish.
    4, Watch glass not in very good condition and no omega logo to center, dose not seem to fit as good as a genuine Omega crystal perhaps this might have let moisture in causing dial problems.
    Here is a picture of movement cal 552 serial number 19m this dates this watch to 1962 if i got my calculations correct. omega 14761 026.JPG
    I plan to service movement and fit a new genuine crystal. then treat the watch to a new strap and and enjoy.
    Looked on Cousinsuk web site today to price a new genuine Omega strap, shock has any body noticed how expensive they are now a new strap would cost more than i paid for the watch !!!
    Has any forum members any sugestions of a nice strap that would compliment this vintage omega.

2. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2015

1. It's a less common variation of dial.

2. Any attempt at cleaning could also remove the finish - most notably the lettering. Do so at your own risk. Most times those spots are under the clear coat so it might not be adviseable to try anything.

3. Probably plated. Dial refinishers used to do hands also, but I don't know of any that do anymore. A watchmaker might be able to do it...maybe.

4. Replace with an authentic Omega part.

3. Blacksmith Aug 1, 2015

Thanks for your quick response ulackfocus these are the kind of answers i was expecting.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 1, 2015

Here is the stainless steel version.
    Wave 1.jpg

Blacksmith likes this.
  5. mac_omega Aug 2, 2015

Your´s has different markers though... more elaborate IMO

6. Canuck Aug 2, 2015

Interesting that your Omega is apparently gold shell over steel, near as I can tell. Real potential all cleaned up! I like the dial, and the hands will likely clean up a bit. (Why does this dumb iPad always turn shell into she'll?)

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2015

Were these ribbon dials mainly US Market / Norman Morris editions? I know there seem to be a lot more in the US than in the rest of the world