Forums Latest Members
  1. yelonek Sep 14, 2016

Hello All!, I got this as a gift from my wife her knowing I would like a vintage watch, I tried to look for something similar on the internet but no luck so far, can someone please verify if this one is real or franken? IMG_20160914_121518.jpg IMG_20160914_121554.jpg IMG_20160914_121611.jpg IMG_20160914_121915.jpg IMG_20160914_121945.jpg

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 14, 2016

I'm pretty sure The movement doesn't belong in that case
    Unless someone removed 'chronometer' from the dial (wrong case number)
    Not fake but perhaps franken - sorry

Edit
    If it was sold as all genuine - and it bothers you - I would go for a refund

Edited Sep 14, 2016
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 14, 2016

Yep, should be a 562. That movement looks to be from various parts anyway.

Unless the rotor bridge was changed to rectify the loose rotor problem :rolleyes:.

It's not a big issue if you're not into it for collector value and it depends on what the seller's description was.

If my wife bought it for me I'd just live with it (unless you can prove that she got dudded).

4. yelonek Sep 15, 2016

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 15, 2016

That 4 in the 14701-4 is a revision number. For example, I had a 14700 and it wouldn't have fit a bracelet well because the shape of the lugs. After a CMW ruined that case buffing the living crap out of it, I found a 14700-1 case, and the difference was the lugs were thicker.

The movement doesn't bother me, the rest of it looks fine. There may well be a legitimate reason the movement was changed. As long as it runs well and keeps time, it's fine.

Tom

6. yelonek Sep 16, 2016

Thank you very much guys, a bit more clear to me.

7. Kwijibo Sep 16, 2016

if it's only the bridge of the auto block that was changed it's not really a big issue. Is this is the entire movement it's a bit different. Depends what you are looking for and at what price

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 16, 2016

On closer inspection it looks like the bridge and rotor from one chronometer movement replaced into another
    Not in itself necessarily a problem but it looks like the rotor is (or has been) rubbing both on the bridge and the case back
    If the watch hasn't been recently serviced (proven) I would have it looked at
    It might be the movement doesn't fit the case
    Our resident watchmaker gurus might be able to comment

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2016

I know it's common here to assume that different coloured movement parts indicate some sort of nefarious modification, but one of the features that was touted by Omega for these movements at the time was that the entire automatic module could be swapped as a unit for maintenance purposes. This started with the 470 series movements, and before that it required disassembly of the automatic winding system to replace any part in that system - the new "modular" approach was seen to be an advance in servicing options. Of course these modules have not been offered for a long time.

The fact is the plating that Omega used varied quite a lot over the years in the colour tone they used, so if a replacement module was installed, it could be a very different shade like the example above. In addition to the fact that plating can sometimes not adhere well and will flake off some parts and not others during service (I have even had sections of one plate flake off and the others areas of the same part were fine) can lead to a movement that looks very odd, but has not been "tampered with" in any way.

If you value a movement that all looks the same that's fine and your choice, but for some movements it just shows that it's had a normal life, just like patina on the exterior does.

Cheers, Al

Woodward, Als 27, nkb and 3 others like this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 16, 2016

any comment on the movement size in that particular case style?
    -and the rubbing on the bridge and case back?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2016

As noted this should have a 562 inside - the 564 and 562 are exactly the same size, so I am unclear what the concern about the movement size is all about to be honest.

Of course it needs a service.

12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 16, 2016

I'd missed the previous post about the 562 ::facepalm2::

13. Kwijibo Sep 16, 2016

Hi Archer,

you right concerning the differents shades of the movement but personally I never some difference of aging in the same movement. Af for th oscillating weight rubbing the plate. it can be several things :
    the axis is damaged
    the screw of the weight plate is lose, but in that case, it jumps out rathre rapidly as it is a tiny screw
    the hole in the weight is enlarged by lack of grease
    one thing is sure, if this one of these case, some parts must be changed.
    for the size, I agree any 562, 564, and I'll ad 565 have the same size. all the 5XX movement with date have the same size.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2016

I've serviced hundreds of these - plating can flake certainly, so the fact you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it can't happen.

As for the rotor scraping...99.999% of the time it's a worn pinion in the rotor...I replace these all the time.

15. Kwijibo Sep 16, 2016

no intention of contradicting you archer, I serviced a lot too, and saw only few flakings. just sharing experience. Agree on the pinion.

cheers

16. TNTwatch Sep 16, 2016

I've never serviced any but I've seen a lot of different aged appearances on the same movement parts - eg. a bridge or rotor had different areas with different aged appearances.

17. Kwijibo Sep 16, 2016

I mean, When I saw some differences in coulours, never knew if it was dur to differents types of aging or previous changing of parts.

18. ulackfocus Sep 16, 2016

It's possible that case could also have housed a caliber 591.

It's also a redial. The font of Seamaster is just a bit wrong and leans to far to the right, the AUTOMATIC lettering is too short / squat, plus the SWISS MADE is centered by the space instead of the entire phrase.

I used to own a few of these 14.70x Seamasters, including my first 18k Omega.

19. Kwijibo Sep 16, 2016

yep, the st in Semasater looks weird. No problem for me regarding the swiss made.

20. ulackfocus Sep 16, 2016

...... and the last R shouldn't have the dipping tail for that model.