Forums Latest Members
  1. MSS Jul 13, 2019

Hey guys, would really like to hear your thoughts on this one. Came to me through the grandson of a portuguese Navy officer (Portuguese import mark visible) who basically wore it his whole life mostly on a ship. Never saw a yellowed dial like this one, and particularly because it aged differently on the tachy outer ring.
    I can get it fairly cheap at 2.5k euros, love the provenance and the dial originality, but have doubts on later easiness to sell it.
    Any thoughts? Thanks!!
    20190624_204145.jpg

Edited Jul 13, 2019
    Etp095 and The Father like this.
  2. WatchCor Jul 13, 2019

Well from a purely aestethic point of view this type of uneven patina doesn't appeal to me. Considering the provenance of being on navy ship I would personally like to see the movement also. To my untrained eye that might be moisture/water damage.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. Dan S Jul 13, 2019

Shooting from the hip, I don't have any obvious concerns about authenticity, but as you know, that dial won't appeal to everyone. Moreover, I can't really see the case very well in that photo, but I'm not seeing the expected chamfers. So overall, it's a desirable reference with serious condition issues. Also, unless you have rock solid documentation, the history of the watch won't help you when you sell it. Personally, I think it has some appeal at the right price, and if you want to share the asking price, you might get some specific feedback.

BTW, it appears to have a chrono-creep issue. Not a big deal in my opinion, but you can mention this to the seller if you're trying to beat him down a little more.

4. jeppehh Jul 13, 2019

Agree with @WatchCor regarding the movement.

With that said it all comes down to price. You will have no problem selling it if you price it right. Even if that might mean it’ll end it’s life as a donor watch.

I have seen these go for $ 2-3k in this condition.

5. MSS Jul 13, 2019

6. MSS Jul 13, 2019

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I can get it for around 2-2.5k. Actually the case is ok, the picture is really bad...

7. AriTheWatchmaker Jul 15, 2019

Look at the outer edge of the dial- that is more like the original color I think. I havent seen one looking this yellow, but it reminds me of easy-rider era "shooting glasses" that are really yellow.
    For the price, if the movement is clean then its a good deal, even if you have to deal with the dial later... maybe someone laquered it over in the past and its discolored heavily?
    Would love to see movement and any marks regarding portuguese navy.

8. MSS Jul 15, 2019

Thanks a lot! Will try to get movement pics and get back to you.

9. Passover Jul 15, 2019

10. Amice Jul 15, 2019

Nice watch. I love the look of the dial!

I guess it all comes down to personal preference. To me it looks great, I also have a patinated vintage Tissot chronograph in my collection which I adore:
    BBA9A6CE-25F1-4FD2-8DF6-2D35732D188A.jpeg

11. WatchCor Jul 15, 2019

Absolutely it's personal preference. Although I usually don't like uneven patina your Tissot looks very good and on that upper left shot looks even to have some "salmon" vibes to it in certain light. But most importantly you have a clean movement:thumbsup:.

Amice likes this.
  12. spacemission Jul 17, 2019

If calibre is clean and working hard and price is fair, all right.