Forums Latest Members
  1. jeppehh Jun 26, 2019

Insipired by @ewand s writeup on the Speedmasters I thought I wanted to bring some attention to the Seamaster 105.001 that is auctioned away on the 20th.

As some of you are aware I have been looking at these early non-speedy 321 chronographs for a while and slowly trying to increase my understand so as not to make a bad decision once I pull the trigger.

To me this looks like a rather attractive and honest example

Positive:
    Looks to me like all the parts are original
    The dial is quite attrative albeit not perfect
    Lovely leaf hands

Negative:
    Case is quite polished
    Looks like someone took bite of the bottom pusher
    Lume is mostly mostly gone on the dial
    Only one picture to make an assesment based on

What are your thoughts on the watch and how does my noobish assement sound to you?
    Also would you be willing to bid based on just this one picture watch or would you want to hold it in hand?

Screenshot 2019-06-26 at 13.35.08.png

rspace, Etp095 and DaveK like this.
  2. M'Bob Jun 26, 2019

Honest piece, enough lume left to be acceptable. These are usually under-valued in the market due to their size, when compared to their cal. 321 Speedmaster brothers. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the back. And I also note the lume color on the markers and hands aren't a perfect match.

Edited Jun 26, 2019
    CJpickup57 and jeppehh like this.
  3. S.H. Jun 26, 2019

There is a drag mark on the minute counter: you'd better see the watch for yourself, dial condition is hard to assess on pictures.

jeppehh likes this.
  4. jsducote Jun 26, 2019

I don't know if I'd bid on just 1 picture (unless I really knew the watch) but I also wouldn't necessarily have to hold it. Ask for more pictures and specify the angles that you want. Expect it to take at least a few days for a response (and another week or so for someone to actually put their hands on it and take pics) since they've got, what, 300 lots to manage? But you've got 3.5 weeks before you have to make a decision. No need to decide right here and now.

Mark020 and jeppehh like this.
  5. jeppehh Jun 26, 2019

Good point. I noticed that too. There seem to be some debate about whether that can happen naturally or whether the hands have been swapped. Do you subscribe to the latter belief?

I'm not seeing this. Can you point it out to me?

I'm probably more curious than a real potential buyer. I think it'll go above my current budget, unfortunately.
    Don' understand though that an auction house with these kind of watches don't have better pictures by default. It seems like their catalogue mostly work as a teaser to come and inspect the watches in person. Maybe they don't buy into this whole internet thing.

6. CJpickup57 Jun 26, 2019

Here you go:

Capture6.PNG

DaveK, kov and S.H. like this.
  7. jeppehh Jun 26, 2019

I was looking veeeeeeeery carefully at the minute marker path, not the chrono minut. ::facepalm1::

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 26, 2019

For this reference it's an average example. There are nicer condition versions to be sure but they are also not easy to locate.

kov and jeppehh like this.
  9. jsducote Jun 26, 2019

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for more photos, even if you don't wind up bidding. It doesn't cost you anything. I also think that the one-picture listings are both due to the number of listings they're trying to push all at once and maybe a little game theory to determine the true interest. Mostly the former, if I had to bet.

jeppehh likes this.
  10. jeppehh Jun 26, 2019

Thanks for input. I don’t have a great scouting network unfortunately so have to make due with the layman’s web alerts. So maybe missing out on the golden examples.

But if you find one that is lacking a C or two and doesn’t make the cut for you, please reach out ;)

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 26, 2019

I guess like this one...

[​IMG]

12. jeppehh Jun 26, 2019

Stunning! If that doesn’t make the cut in your collection it most definitely will in mine (despite the dangers of cutting my fingers on those lugs)

Are you thinking of parting with it?

13. M'Bob Jun 26, 2019

When darker than the markers, I think, "plausible." When lighter, my right eyebrow raises...

jeppehh likes this.
  14. Lucasssssss Jun 26, 2019

I am based in London should you want any more photos of the watch (and that is an open offer for any members here who need some photographs from WoK, or any other auction house)

chronoboy64, glownyc and jeppehh like this.
  15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 26, 2019

Not at the moment.

16. jeppehh Jun 26, 2019

Like dangling a cracker in front of a starving person... :(

Would appreciate it if you let me know if you change your mind... or find an example that doesn’t fully live up to your standards. :)

rspace likes this.
  17. jeppehh Jun 26, 2019

That would be awesome, @Lucasssssss.

If you post them here they would serve the whole community, also for posterity.

Thanks.

18. rspace Jun 27, 2019

Lol! i know the feeling. Curious about the pushers. Comparing the Wok one you posted with the one posted by @MSNWatch, the pushers seems to have "sunk in"? Is that normal?

19. jeppehh Jun 27, 2019

That's interesting. It seems like the pusher distance varies a bit on the examples I can find.

Here's one example from the FS section that is more like the WoK example: https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-omega-105-001-62-cal-321-steel-chronograph-1962.81688/

Anyone know if this is something to be mindful of when finding one of the early chronos?
    Is it an indication of something?

20. rspace Jul 1, 2019

Bringing this thread back up. Would still love to hear your thoughts on the pushers.