Forums Latest Members

Screw loose in Speedmaster pro

1. nickmobile67 Aug 25, 2015

Today I noticed the start/stop pusher wouldn't work on my 2007 Speedmaster. I'm no watchmaker but I have some tools so when I got home I took the caseback off and found this screw jamming up the works. I carefully removed it with tweezers so it wouldn't come loose and do any other damage. I've heard of the movement mounting screws coming loose, so I assume that's what it is but I don't know. Is it safe to even try the pusher at this point? Is it even safe to continue to wind and wear the watch? And finally, any recommendations for someplace near Philadelphia where I can have it serviced who does affordable work with a decent turn around time? I wear the watch daily so I hate to be without it too long. Thanks!

20150825_162127.jpg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 25, 2015

That's not the movement retaining screw, as both of those are clearly visible. Based on the size and lack of any visible screws missing, I'm going to say it's a dial foot screw. The movement has to be removed from the case to put this back, and that can be tricky, so my advice is to seek out a watchmaker to do this for you, and he should check the other one as well.

Not uncommon to have these loose for some reason - I am taking a Speedmaster apart right this very minute with one missing and presumed floating around inside the movement somewhere...

Cheers, Al

3. nickmobile67 Aug 25, 2015

Okay thanks, at least I know it's probably not going to grenade before I have a chance to take it in for service.