Forums Latest Members

Screw down crown for Univeral Geneve Space-Compax Chrono

1. Space-Compax Dec 11, 2017

Hi Guys, making the rounds here looking for a Universal Geneve Space-Compax screw down crown. From previous posts it appears as though Diabolik is the go to guy for this particular watch. Not sure if he is still around or not but had to try. My old crown was somewhat working until it broke on the inside of the crown, apparently these come in three or four separate parts, according to my watchmaker. This is something he broke but I don't hold him accountable as he is really good and I do trust him. I could set the time by holding the crown tightly out, I guess the spring in the crown stem had broken but now you can't do that, won't wind or set at all, according to him, he still has the watch. My question is does anyone know where one of these, or a suitable replacement, might be. Also, what could be used instead of a Universal Geneve chrono one, maybe a sub Polrouter could be used if that could be found or something else, at this point I'll take anything that would work or maybe a dependable place I could send the watch that has that part, I'll take anything. I've been collecting watches since the early nineties and this is one I really want to get going so any help would be immensely appreciated. Thanks Guys.

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 11, 2017

the Space Compax crown is introvabile, introvabilissimo even. In the category of hen's teeth. Good luck. No idea about replacements, but it's a Valjoux 72, so probably lots of options as long as you don't insist on the springy, malfunction-prone gimcrack UG came up with.

Mapearso likes this.
  3. Diabolik Dec 12, 2017

Space-Compax likes this.
  4. Space-Compax Dec 12, 2017

thanks guys for the replies. Diabolik, pm me the next steps I need to take to acquire a possible replacement. My watchmaker is old school, he's in his seventies, so any information you could provide on installation would be perfect. At least now I have some direction to go in, thanks to this sites generosity.

5. Space-Compax Dec 15, 2017

Hi Diabolik. Please pm me or respond through forum. Would like to ask a couple of things. thanks.

6. Diabolik Dec 18, 2017

upload_2017-12-18_9-26-39.png

This is the one I have used. The crown tube is a pressure fit and has an internal thread. The crown is a bit like a rolex twin-lock and is waterproof. Diameter of crown is 6.5 mm. Original UG is 6.7mm. What I was experimenting with is turning down the crown (machining on lathe) so that it could be made to fit inside an original crown. Aesthetically, it would look like a UG crown and would have the internal spring lock of a newer and refined spring lock. It does involve replacing the crown tube.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 18, 2017

Kudos to you. For all my love of UG, never did a watch design need revision more than the Space Compax crown.

Space-Compax and Mapearso like this.
  8. Space-Compax Aug 7, 2018

Hi Guys, thought you would be interested in seeing this Space-Compax that I found last year and had restored, to a certain extent. Had the pushers replaced, the movement cleaned and a new V72 stem and crown replaced as the old one was broken though I still have it. The watch keeps great time and the functions work, though the hours sub second will reset to only about the one o'clock position. The biggest issue with this however, I think, is the replaced winding crown does not screw down all the way, about 1mm high. This was the best my watchmaker could do, obviously he has little experience on lathes so maybe the suggestion that Dean recommended with turning down the original and fitting up a replacement could be done sometime in the future. I also decided to keep the original marked crystal. It has a lot of stress cracks but I made the mistake of replacing the crystal on another watch I have and should not have so I guess I am gun shy about replacing original crystals, especially marked ones. Would it be appropriate to replace this crystal with an unmarked one? Looking for some feedback on this. The back is somewhat worn but the serial number,etc. can still be read, also has the original GF bracelet. Excuse the photos, they were taken here at my desk with an old digital camera. Thanks to all who replied previously.

DSC09693.JPG DSC09697.JPG
  9. Ingeborg Sep 27, 2018

Hello All -
    I am also looking for a crown and tube for a Universal Geneve Space Compax (Version 1 - REF. 885104-01). I am currently working with a restorer in Washington, DC to get my watch back in working order - these pieces are very hard to find! Appreciate any help or leads!
    Thanks!

Universal Geneve Space Compax - V1 - pra1.jpg
  10. Space-Compax Sep 28, 2018

Hi, you'll probably have to take the same route I did, replace the tube, stem and crown with a Valjoux 72 compatible unit. My crown sits about 1mm higher than it should because of the larger crown. I had the good fortune to have the original crown but my watchmaker was not comfortable plowing out the center of the original crown and dressing down the replacement crown to soft solder in place inside the old crown, a good idea if you have the original crown, which you don't. Finding a replacement crown, stem and tube should not be a problem, however, it was not for my watchmaker.

11. Diabolik Sep 28, 2018

soft solder is not a good option as it will not work on steel. silver brazing (higher temp) would work though. Stronger and would not discolour steel ...

I have seen the few original crowns that are available, go for mega sums ($600 and more). Scotchwatch has one or two but be ready to take a loan out, they are not cheap!

12. Omega312 May 25, 2022

I have a issue with my UGSC in that when unwound from the case the crown does not "pop/spring" into the winding position so you have to hold it out which is very fiddly. From this post it appears there is a spring missing ?? I would be grateful for any info/diagrams.
    Thanks
    Simon