Forums Latest Members

Scratched Up Omega, not vintage, polishing question

1. SG90 May 23, 2019

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum as have just been gifted a second-hand omega constellation 1304.35.00. Its pretty scratched all over, with heavy scratches, scratches to the crystal (not visible without a lens), small impact marks in three locations.
    It has never been serviced in 13 years and it seems to have been worn a lot!

So I dropped it in to Omega to get it serviced (sorry, that's the reason for no photos!) and obviously they will polish it as standard. Obviously most peoples opinion is to never /polish/ a vintage watch, this watch is only 13 years old, however I would prefer they do not end up damaging the watch through a heavy polish or rounding off edges etc.

So what would you do, ask them to polish, or not?

Thanks!

Edited May 23, 2019
    LM2611 likes this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 23, 2019

Hello and welcome

FIFY (fixed it for you)

Cheers.

3. SG90 May 23, 2019

Haha, thanks, at least you knew what I meant!

4. LM2611 May 23, 2019

Following

5. mjb May 23, 2019

It's a contemporary watch, not vintage, in rough shape. I'd have it polished.

6. wsfarrell May 23, 2019

Omega has been pretty good at not over-polishing cases with watches I've sent in. That said, I sent them a vintage Speedmaster once with (what I thought were) fairly minor scratches/dings. They said they would only do the service if I paid for a new case--something like $950 plus the cost of the overhaul. I had them send it back.

7. SG90 May 24, 2019

Glad to hear you have mainly had good experiences!
    I’ve asked them to do a light polish and not remove every scratch and told them to take care with the constellation logo on the case back and the edges.

I’m surprised they told you you had to buy a whole new case for the vintage, sort of defeats the point doesn’t it? (Unless it was heavily damaged!)

8. wsfarrell May 24, 2019

I think Omega's policy is to bring a watch back as close as possible to the way it left the factory. I didn't think the case on this one looked bad, so I'm guessing a lot depends on the particular person at Omega who is writing up the service estimate.