Forums Latest Members

Scraps from the gold scrapper

1. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2011

Got a text from a guy who owns one of those "We Buy Gold" shops. His place is near one of the stores I working in. Picked up a pair of items he had no interest in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paid just over a pittance. ;) It's good to have a parts movement, and the Wittnauer will be cleaned up and flipped to cover the layout. Somebody will get a pretty nice watch for a bargain and a half, and I'll get a free caliber 550 which only needs a little surface rust knocked off. The gold guy was happy too since he got a few bucks for what he considers trash. I love deals that make everyone happy.

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Dec 24, 2011

Wow, sounds like it's a good idea for collectors to keep in touch with these local gold dealers. Nice find.

It would be interesting to have some high-res artistic looking macro shots of Omega (or Patek) movements to use as wallpapers. :)

3. stiff muckler Dec 29, 2011

stiff has gathered a lot of different calibre werks from da melt, but he will to have to think about whether or not to do dis in da future. It aids or abets da "We buy gold" crew. When you pay da scrappers more than da couple of dollars you are giving dem fuel to burn (buy) watches with.

sm

4. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2011

Not necessarily Stiff. When they realize you'll pay cash and you tell them to call you before scrapping watches from a certain group of brands they'll try to make a few bucks over scrap value. Who would complain about getting a premium vintage piece for a few bucks over melt value? It's happened several times.

5. stiff muckler Jan 7, 2012

Da issue ist not with da watch purchase but da movement purchase. Da purchase of da movement from da melt - at any level beyond dat of token (perhaps 5 -10% of da market value) has da following effect:

Da scrapper:

1. profit ist optimized
    2. is encouraged to bid higher prices for intact watches due to da secondary revenue stream from da werks sales
    3. position relative to dat of da collectors and particular da reseller in bidding for watches, is strengthened

stiff could definitely use da "spares", but da "ultimate cost" of dis supply of movements is just too "high". Please consider dis.

Respectfully,

sm

6. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2012

Well, the damage was already done - the case was melted. No sense trashing a perfectly good movement that could be needed for parts to keep other watches from the scrap heap. Besides, have you seen what these 55x and 56x movements are selling for?

7. stiff muckler Jan 7, 2012

Dat's da essence of da issue. Self interest. People don't melt uhren because they are mad at dem.

sm

patrick1616 likes this.
  8. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Mar 29, 2016

Hey Stiff....where are you from with that accent. You sound like a Louisiana baw.

9. Canuck Mar 29, 2016

Several years ago, I had a Rolex sent my way for authentication, and to weigh the hauté couturier, rose gold, exquisite late 1940s 18-karat gold case with matching bracelet. The owner was wanting to take it to a scrapper, but wanted some guidance. I showed it to my spouse, because I thought I might scoop it before it got to the scrapper. She didn't like it! Several weeks later, the owner asked me if I was interested in what was left of that masterpiece watch. For your appreciation.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. cimo Mar 29, 2016

A prayer and a moment of silence should be observed in the case of stories like this.