Forums Latest Members

Scottish comedy actor shows good taste in watches shocker

1. watchlovr May 15, 2016

OMGRLX likes this.
  2. Tom Dick and Harry May 15, 2016

Jolly good show, the man has taste

3. GlenBuck Feb 22, 2017

when i put mine in for a battery to Greens in Maryhill Rd Glasgow ..Mr Green asked if i wanted to sell it as this actor was looking for one... that would be some 12 years back.

it needs a new battery, i have the cert and the case and hardly ever wear watch now. ive had it some 30 years + and wore it a lot so not pristine

this is my 1st post.. im trying to learn the ins and outs and now have my dads Jaeger lecoultre stainless steel from 1944 which he wore 55 years

the case is very worn

pointers for threads on considerations regarding refurb or nit most welcome
    cheers

4. watchlovr Feb 23, 2017

Do you mean Martins, Maryhill rd?
    Swiss Time Services are the only ones who can work on your Albatross, anyone can however change a battery, including yourself.
    We will need more info/pics of the JLC to assist further.

marco likes this.
  5. GlenBuck Feb 23, 2017

Hmmm its been 5 years since i visited... its on the right nearly opposite the old barracks... you might be write... perhaps his sign is green!

i just buried my mother 3 days ago, hence the arrival of the watch...so not my most together time.

i have 3 generations of family timepieces
    bottom left great grandfathers requires a key which i dont have
    bottom right grandfathers
    jaeger top right as mentioned
    Omegas mine

image.jpeg

GuiltyBoomerang and ahartfie like this.
  6. watchlovr Feb 26, 2017

Great heirlooms.
    The Jaeger looks to have been chrome plated at some point, what a lovely dial and hands on it but pretty small by todays standards.
    I suggest John Senior at http://www.obsoletewatchandclockparts.com
    He is superb at older pieces such as yours and has access to lots of parts, apart from that he is a gent and very reasonable price wise.
    Discuss re plating the case with him but I have no idea if it could (or should) be done.
    I do know a guy who does know about it if you want it done.
    Speak to John first after sending the watch to him.

I can change the battery in the Albatross or guide you through it.
    You don't want to leave old batteries in it for too long, they may leak and ruin the movement forever.

Good luck.

Edited Feb 27, 2017
  7. GlenBuck Feb 26, 2017

thanks so much re the Chrono.... Im in Scotland.... r u ? :)

The one professional opinion i have so far advises only a service on the jaeger

the watch went through Italy, France and Norway with my dads war service amd then the 55 years....so the wear is understandable and i dont want to utterly remove the patina with a restoration and the watch works fine and keeps time very well .... so i dont think parts are a major issue... only the winder is a tad slack to my mind

back to the Chrono it might be a year since the batteries ran out... maybe less but i will take your advice... i have never taken the back off but i do have some jewellers screwdrivers and am up for a try

i think if all is well i should sell so a professional assesement might be in order . it would be awful if the digital aspect threw in the towel on my watch.... as it were