Forums Latest Members
  1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 6, 2017

I like vintage ephemera, and am particularly chuffed about this piece. It's likely from the '40s, as evidenced by my favorite of all of the fonts ever used by Longines, is a touch over 10" wide, and appears to be solid copper!

[​IMG]

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 6, 2017

Very cool get, congrats! (also a favorite font for me...)

3. Vitezi Jan 6, 2017

I've always appreciated the company's winged hourglass logo as a poignant reminder of the passing of time.

4. cristos71 Jan 6, 2017

Nice score Tony, I was watching that one but forgot to bid in the end. It certainly looks to be a substantial piece.

5. Kmart Jan 6, 2017

Somehow I never realized that's what it was until just now... ::facepalm2::

Larry S, watchknut and Vitezi like this.
  6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 6, 2017

Great typeface. Fantastic piece. Just hope it remains unpolished. :thumbsup:

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 6, 2017

That is really nice!

8. Vitezi Jan 6, 2017

According to this site: " Longines winged hourglass logo has been in use in one form or another since 1867. The current Art Deco style version came into use in 1942. The brand name Longines was filed with Switzerland’s Federal Office of Intellectual Property in 1880. The logo was registered with the same office in 1889. The brand name and logo were filed with the United International Bureaux for the Protection of Intellectual Property (which would become the World Intellectual Property Organization) in 1893. All in all, this makes Longines the oldest brand name registered with the WIPO still in use today."
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

DaveK, Kmart and watchknut like this.
  9. Rman Jan 6, 2017

Man cave-bound for sure. Great score Tony!

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 6, 2017

Thanks for all of your kind comments!

As you can see, the font in this dated advert corresponds to that of my recent acquisition.

[​IMG]

DaveK, Vitezi, Darlinboy and 4 others like this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2017

Probably bronze.

Very few items are made from pure copper unless protected from the elements (think insulated wire). Copper tends to react poorly with the environment. Bronze has other elements in it that help it age and develop patina like your piece.

Nice! :thumbsup:
    gatorcpa

12. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 6, 2017

Not sure about that, Gator. Here's a view of the back side, and the corrosion strikes me more as that found on copper than bronze.

I agree that it isn't pure, so that was a mistake on my part. But I think, especially given the color, that it's more likely to be a copper alloy than bronze. Plenty of copper (alloy) pennies around!

[​IMG]

Darlinboy likes this.
  13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 6, 2017

Nice grab! My Conquest case back approves... and shows this font was still in use in the mid 50's.

[​IMG]

Thomas P., Syrte, khmt2 and 1 other person like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 6, 2017

Longines had some cool logo,s over the years
    Great pick up....

image.jpeg

Thomas P. and Tony C. like this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2017

Bronze is 88% copper, as per the article I posted earlier. So it is a copper alloy.

I bet that sign was originally mounted on something, probably a wooden plank. That might have been what caused the uneven patina on the back.

US cents made prior to the 1960's were made of bronze and started out bright red. Uncirculated examples would age to a brown color very close to your sign. Current cents are pure copper plated over zinc and don't age well at all.
    gatorcpa

Darlinboy likes this.
  16. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jan 7, 2017

::love::::love::::love:: Diiiiiiiibs

17. Mr.Cairo Jan 7, 2017

Super nice! Awesome find for sure :thumbsup:

18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 7, 2017

Thanks. So "bronze" is simply one type of copper alloy, along with brass, etc. The reason that I associate the sign more with copper than bronze is because my experience with old bronze is largely with sculpture, and, after long periods of time, the patina is almost invariably darker and more brown, yellow, or greenish.

Having researched a bit thanks to your input, it seems that, generally speaking:

"Variations in the color of copper alloys stem primarily from differences in chemical composition. Unalloyed coppers have a red tone. The addition of other elements causes a change toward yellow, bronze, silver or gray. These colors can then develop patinas when exposed to air."

So, while you are almost certainly correct that the sign falls into the "copper alloy" category, I would infer from the color that it does have a relatively high copper content.

Here is a useful chart of the 40 copper alloys "regularly" available in the U.S. The only type bronze that approach the reddish color of the sign is "Phosphor Bronze".

http://www.metalreference.com/Forms_Copper_Alloy.html

gatorcpa likes this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 7, 2017

I gotta have that apppied logo on my watches. It's totally cool!