Forums Latest Members

Scammer tactics, be careful out there

1. sog00d Dec 25, 2018

Sorry for the longer post but it was a tricky purchase that went wrong.

I made an offer on an eBay auction that was slightly too good to be true and the seller took me up on it and ended the auction early. We then proceeded to finalize the deal but not before I asked for specific angles and for a photo with the date and his username on it. The seller complied but something still didn’t feel right.

I reached out to another seller on eBay-an OF member-with the same item for sale that had similar backdrops to see if these newly shared photos was his, and they weren’t.

I then asked the original seller for another pic with the time set to a specific time and with my username it it. That’s when the OF member pinged me saying someone reached out asking him for the same information I asked for including my username.

I reported this immediately and shut it down. The scary part was the original seller was able to provide me with a photo before eBay suspended the account.

So as a naive buyer, this would have seemed legit. This was one of the only ways to verify that a seller has the watch but now that is not bulletproof since they are using other sellers to get the pics they need. This is really scary since as a seller I provide photos to buyers all the time.

One way I can to see to combat this is to ONLY provide photos with your username and a name that matches the buyer.

Looking for others thoughts on this and ideas. Again, sorry for the long post but I wanted to share.

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 25, 2018

My thoughts are that only gullible people get scammed. There aren't too many gullible members on the forum.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. bigsom Dec 25, 2018

If you would have paid him via ebay buy it now and received nothing, you would have almost certainly gotten your money back.

4. Petervl Dec 25, 2018

Don´t guy outside E-bay if you are not 100% sure of the seller

VintageWatchIta and sog00d like this.
  5. wsfarrell Dec 25, 2018

Without getting into the "end the auction early" issue, it seems to me that a custom photo with date and user name on it, plus a second custom photo with the watch set to a specified time, would have fooled the most skeptical and suspicious OF members. OP was really lucky to be in contact with the actual watch owner.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 25, 2018

What I find most extreme is that the scammer would actually reach out to the real owner in order to get the picture with proper time and username!
    How would he convince the real owner to supply such a picture?
    I’m struggling to believe the real owner would have been stupid enough.

Thanks however for sharing the cautionary tale.

connieseamaster and sxl2004 like this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 25, 2018

Just sayin.
    massey-bc-1024x683.jpg
    massey-bc-1024x68a3.jpg

8. sog00d Dec 25, 2018

Yeah I knew I was covered since it was within eBay and PayPal but I didn’t want a bunch of money tied up while I waited for it to be resolved since it smelt too good to be true.

9. sog00d Dec 25, 2018

It wasn’t even the exact watch since only the caseback would identify the LE number. So I figure the seller was just contacting other sellers to get the photos needed and kept the caseback photos with the LE number consistent.

10. sog00d Dec 25, 2018

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 26, 2018

What was the seller history?

12. valkyrie_rider Dec 26, 2018

Maybe have a rule of thumb to *always* add your watermark in a photo that was requested by a buyer?

So that wouldn't be re-used by a scammer...?

sog00d likes this.
  13. sog00d Dec 26, 2018

Very light. That is why I was cautious. The seller had 6 pieces of feedback and a new account.

VintageWatchIta and Foo2rama like this.
  14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 26, 2018

:eek:

15. 1972Steve Dec 26, 2018

Frightening. As a new member this was very informative and eye opening. Shows you what a seedy marketplace EBay can be

16. sog00d Dec 27, 2018

I agree this will help, along with both the sellers and buyer's usernames in it. And the name must match the buyer's username.

connieseamaster likes this.
  17. VintageWatchIta Jan 1, 2019

I always suggest to buy it via Ebay, or at least via Paypal, especially when < 100 feedbacks.
    Another way they try to scam is: the user buy your watches, ask you some extra pics, and then send via email a fake-payment that is very similiar to a paypal page, so if you don't check your paypal page, you think it is payed and you can ship the watch.
    The address that they provide is always in UK (Reading, Bristol, ..).

BE CAREFUL ;)

citizenrich likes this.
  18. zimonyig Jan 3, 2019

Cliche but that's the point! Even more suspicious than a (0) feedback score..

19. Lovewatches2 Jan 3, 2019

Well, you know the saying, if it's @sog00d to be true, beware...

20. WatchVaultNYC Jan 3, 2019

ALWAYS suspect someone who is willing to end an Ebay auction early. Why? Because Ebay now charges final value fees for canceled transactions. I.e. if he stopped the auction at $1K, Ebay + paypal gets $130 out of that, even if it does not sell on eBay

It THEREFORE means that he expects better than market price + up to 13% from you to make it worth his while.

citizenrich likes this.