Forums Latest Members
  1. justwatching Jul 29, 2015

Back after a long hiatus and the speedmaster itch is back again. Saw this for sale asking price is 35k usd. Was i gone for that long that prices of these watches have gone up significantly?

image.jpg
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 29, 2015

the dial colour is nice, but I don't think that's a $35K watch. hands relumed or service replacements? hour markers smushed? Bezel is DON, but not great condition.

hard do say without more pictures too.. case, movement. what bracelet is that? 7912? #6 end links?

3. justwatching Jul 29, 2015

Heres a pic of the movement he sent me but thats all i have. Serial number is 19m. I was really interested in it until he told me the price. Told him it was out of my budget. Seems like a nice guy though.

image.jpg
  4. wsfarrell Jul 29, 2015

Nice guys don't ask $35k for $10k--$15k watches.

5. justwatching Jul 29, 2015

Good point. So u think the fair market value for that is 10-15k?

6. E-diddy Jul 29, 2015

agree. looks like dial has been re-lumed hastily. h/m hands look like replacements - they do not match the age of watch. like that it has bracelet & end links, but i don't think it's a 35k watch.

richardew likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 29, 2015

by the serial, this would be a -61 or -62 which i think are generally considered "less desirable", though it is still a 2998.

here's a 105.002 - basically the same as a 2998-62 - which has been available from a dealer for many months, listed at £24,500 or about $38K USD.

http://www.superlativetime.com/product/omega-speedmaster-ref-105-002-1962

if this nice guy is doing a private sale, then $35K is way high. We have seen nice 2998's (usually -4 or -5's) selling in that $10-15K range over the last few months. I think $22K was the highest if memory serves.

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 29, 2015

While that dial might look an attractive colour in the photo, I would expect that on arrival the colour is nothing like the photo, which has been "warmed" - look at the flesh tone.

And if the seller is who I think it is, then i wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick, for a third of the price

Edit: this seller is not who I had in mind when I saw the photos. The photos techniques are identical to a seller with whom I had a very bad experience with. Modified colours, watch held in hand.

Edited Jul 30, 2015
  9. mac_omega Jul 29, 2015

I have done some photoshopping to bring the tone of the skin ("flesh tone" as you named it) to a more realistic color - I have reduced red and magenta quite a lot - see the pictures for comparison.
    The brown (tropical) tone is still there but you are right - the dial will look differently than in the original picture...

2998_comparison.jpg

regards
    Erich

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 29, 2015

The problem with the chocolate/tropical speedmaster dials is it's a very fine line between an attractive and thus valuable specimen and one with unattractive patina and it can frequently be difficult to tell unless you have the watch in hand. I personally do not place a significant premium on the tropical dials - even the attractive ones - but that's my personal preference as I prefer the dial to be as close to factory fresh as possible. But if I were to pursue speedmasters with this dial characteristic and especially if the price is high then there should not be any doubt regarding which side of that very fine line the dial lies.

marco, toddle321, Spacefruit and 2 others like this.
  11. justwatching Jul 29, 2015

Why, if i may ask, would you not deal with this seller

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 29, 2015

Incidentally anyone buying a watch in the 5 figure range off instagram, where filters, touchups and colour adjustment are the norm need to think again and get original untouched images before engaging in a purchase.

SpikiSpikester, Davidt and TLIGuy like this.
  13. justwatching Jul 29, 2015

Yes i agree. but whenhe mentioned the price i didnt ask for it anymore since it was way out of my budget.

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 30, 2015

I have now investigated and while the photos are identical to a UK based dubious seller, to whom I had to return a photoshopped watch, this seller is NOT who I had in mind when I wrote this.

15. ICONO Jul 30, 2015

Colour rendition is, to some extent, affected by the screen, you are viewing the image on.

Rather like light meters, no two screens agree, unless professionally balanced,.....& even then they can wander.

On my three screens, the image has a overall blue cast, which, if anything, is dulling, the alleged warmth of the dial.

If you are considering purchasing a watch with significant value - Always ask for the watch to be photographed in natural 'North' daylight, on
    BOTH, a mid grey card, & a pure white card, & request the time of Day that the image was taken.

( The colour temperature of light is 'bluer' in the Morning, & 'yellower' in the afternoon, becoming even more warm, in the evening )

Ask for the ( ideally ) RAW, or ( usually ) JPEG image, to be sent, without any post processing.

A comparison of both the grey card, & white card image, ( with possibly minor Photoshop adjustment using the grey / white card as benchmarks), will give the most accurate rendition you can achieve, without holding the watch in your hand.

Dependent on your personal screen !

( Former Advertising / Fashion Photographer 25 years, now University Tutor in Creativity )

heypacha, Dash1, lando and 1 other person like this.
  16. justwatching Jul 30, 2015

Better to just look at the watch in person if possible. When buying a watch that expensive whats another $1000 to just fly over and check personally.

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 30, 2015

18. justwatching Jul 30, 2015

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2015

Not harder at all, Instagram already offers filters for video too :)

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 30, 2015

From what I've observed, the nicest tropical dials are the ones where under typical lighting conditions it is very difficult to clearly capture the color especially if the photo is taken head on as I always do. If you see a dial that smacks you in the face with the chocolate color - be immediately skeptical!

SpikiSpikester likes this.