Forums Latest Members
  1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 31, 2013

Following on from the resurrection of the 1012 Geneva, I had bought three broken Seamasters of various types, for further projects.

The first one I have completed is actually the one I was expecting to take the longest. The thing that attracted me to it in the first place was the fact that it had a clean, original dial. It was missing the crown and the eBay seller said that it wouldn't wind but the true horrors were revealed when I took the back off.

The stem was covered in rust, the casing screws and clamps were rusty and the train bridge and balance cock screws were rusty. Two evenings of applying penetrating oil with a fine paint brush has the bridge and cock screws out but the casing screws wouldn't budge I had to chisel the heads off carefully. With the movement out of the case, the hands came off but the dial screws were rusted solid. I have no idea how the water never reached the dial but it just didn't. After a couple more fruitless evenings trying to shift them, I was left with no option but to sacrifice the main plate so for 4 hours I was carefully scratching away the brass with a sharp graver until I had cut the screws out and released the dial which was still clean and original. Luckily, I snagged a 562 movement on eBay within a week and it duely arrived from Spain.

So, here we have it, finished this afternoon and it just needs timing now.

New parts - mainspring, setting lever spring, correct crown, stem,case gasket and Omega crystal.
    Donor watch parts - main plate, balance and several screws.

DSC00731.jpg
    Sorry about the out of focus movement shot before putting the auto-winder back in place.

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

So far, the case and bracelet have just been cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner but I might do something about the case back later.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2013

A tough job, but someone has to do it. :thumbsup:

3. ulackfocus May 31, 2013

Nice job. :thumbsup: Rescue watches are never economical but it sure feels good to pull one from the jaws of death.

BTW, that's the coolest S for Seamaster.

4. pitpro Likes the game. May 31, 2013

I'm impressed! Especially if you are not a trained watchmaker

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 1, 2013

Looking back, it wouldn't have been a bad career but I have only been tinkering since last summer.

I'm really pleased with this one though - I think I'll settle for this result
    DSC00737.jpg

Trev likes this.