Forums Latest Members

Saving Private Seiko UPDATE ( the resurrection)

1. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 22, 2021

A couple on months ago I was talking to a mate who likes watches but is not a watch guy and he told me about this cool old Seiko that he had bought but it would not run properly. I asked him to send me a pic and I would see if I could identify it and organise for a service.
    Pic is below and it had me stumped, a tachymeter bezel on a dive watch and the dial looked off as well. Asked for a pic of the case back but what he sent was useless so we organised that he would have the watch with him when we met for coffee a few days later.
    DSC_7223.jpeg

When we met for coffee the aforementioned watch was produced and none the wiser except you could make out 6105 on the case back with the other four numbers illegible. The serial dated the watch to 7-69, interesting.

We agreed that I will take the watch home with me and see what I could find out. Home and first job was to take the case back off to determine the movement type and sure enough it is a 6105. Now to try and decipher the model number. Using a 10X loupe and just the right light I could make out 8000. Quick bit of research and I then informed him of his find and the significance of the watch as well as potential value. Potential being if you could find the correct bits over time and put it all together.

He didn't want the hassle and was just going to leave as is when I suggested that I would buy it from him, a day for him to think about it and it was then mine:) This watch was produced at the height of the war and it is more than probable that it has seen service but I will never know.

The quest to save Private Seiko was on.

Movement and case are ok, not perfect but ok.
    DSC_7225.jpeg

Well worn case back.
    DSC_7224.jpeg

Current status.
    Uncle Seiko period correct strap-check.
    Located a correct dial in Lebanon which is now in my possession.
    DSC_7226.jpeg

Bezel clips from Israel in my possession.
    DSC_7228.jpeg

Used bezel and hands on their way from Italy.
    145537200_271290441079736_6995918328471148700_n.jpeg

As soon as the bezel and hands arrive it will be off for a full mechanical service and assembly.
    My intent is not to try and make a new watch but rather make it what it would have looked like living the life it has lived.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2021

Wowsers! What a catch.

Like many watches from that era, if something needed fixing during its lifetime, anything that would fit was grabbed and used. Seems to be a thing with Seikos from SE Asia, don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:.

I reckon it'll come up to spec following some R&R, and could even be due for promotion to "Sergeant Seiko".

lindo, LuckyLes and Barking mad like this.
  3. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 11, 2021

After major internal, external surgery and nearly nine months in the clinic "The Private" is ready for active duty again.
    Thanks to @No Mercy, his team and lots of searching for the correct parts he is ready to enjoy a new beginning in the same guise that he started his mission. Hopefully to never see a war again and live a much more pampered life.
    As you will see he does not look new, that was not the intent. The guy that I purchased the bezel from also had a NOS bezel which wasn't much dearer, but to me this would have looked totally out of place on The Private.
    Was this a money making exercise? Definitely not, If I were to sell in the distant future maybe. This was a watch that found me and I felt that it deserved saving.

I will leave it up to @JimInOz about the possibility of promotion but I guess it will always be The Private to me.

The pics:)
    IMG_9385.jpeg

IMG_9386.jpeg

IMG_9387.jpeg

IMG_9394.jpeg

Brothers in arms..
    IMG_9332.jpeg

And of course the wrist shot..
    IMG_9399.jpeg

Flatfoot, Tubber, Alpha and 18 others like this.
  4. hronists Dec 11, 2021

Nice result!

Barking mad likes this.
  5. loniscup Dec 11, 2021

Very nice!!

Barking mad likes this.
  6. Dan S Dec 11, 2021

I really like the 6105-8000 and find it more wearable than the -8110. Mine's a RESIST/RESIST.

IMG_5278.jpeg

Tubber and Barking mad like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 11, 2021

These late 60’s Seiko C cases esp the 8000 are amazing watches. Eminently wearable size and style.

love my non diver 6117-8000.

Barking mad likes this.