Forums Latest Members

Sapphire vs Stainless Steel Caseback on the Speedy Pro..sweating?

1. kippyk May 20, 2015

Is the feel of the two materials different against your skin in day-to-day wear? Would you sweat more with the sapphire? Does the crystal looked all smudged up at the end of the day? Any thoughts or pros and cons would be appreciated...

2. Maximus84 May 20, 2015

I've only ever tried on the steel back, in a store, but I have the sapphire sandwich. I didn't notice any discernible difference. I recently wore the Speedy every day for two months in an area of low humidity but high heat (30-35C) and Imdidnt find it uncomfortable at all.

3. mike@speedy May 20, 2015

Different feel but no problem, the problem comes with both saphire and stainless steel when the watch is havy and the case back is curved(breitling), speedy has the right size and weight you can't go wrong either, 3570 vs 3573 i believe is the most popular inside battle of omega!

Cheers

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 20, 2015

I have both types and I am not able to tell a difference in how they wear.

On the crystal, yes for me the Sapphire gets way more smudges and fingerprints than the hesalite. I think my Speedyorite would be almost perfect if it has a hesalite and not the sapphire.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 20, 2015

Yo would have to have very sensitive skin to discern any difference. I have both and wouldn't know any difference.

6. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 20, 2015

For whatever it's worth, the heat capacity of crystal/glass is higher than steel (approximately 700-800 joules and 400-500 joules respectively). Theoretically speaking, that means that sapphire crystal would cause more sweat, but it's not a significant difference.

Edit: oh wait, is it the other way around? It's been a long time since high school physics :whistling:

7. mike@speedy May 20, 2015

There is a difference, the one is crystal the other is steel, this can't change, there is no sensitive skin or not, but anyhow my opinion

Cheers and good times to everybody

8. repoman May 20, 2015

I can't tell the difference, but I like to wear my strap a tiny bit loose also. I imagine if you like your watch on tight, you'll notice.

9. bb58 May 20, 2015

I've noticed that the sapphire case back sticks to my wrist when its particularly hot out so I have to adjust it constantly. incidentally there's a bald patch on my wrist where the watch sits now. as far as smudging, no none that I've noticed. I usually take it off at the end of the day and it's perfectly fine.

the embossed steel case back usually feels more comfortable because it's not a flat glass surface, but I'd rather be able to see the movement in my speedys