Forums Latest Members
  1. AShort Jan 9, 2016

What are the pros and cons of the hesalite vs the sapphire crystal on the speedmaster professionals?

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 9, 2016

Pros on the hesalite is the look. The fact you can polish out any scratches that may occur, and if replacement hesalite is needed it much less expensive than sapphire.

Pros on the sapphire, can't think of any.

noelekal, 89-0, cfw and 1 other person like this.
  3. flyingout Jan 9, 2016

Well, highly unlikely to scratch in the first place. But I don't disagree as to which I'd choose.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. cfw Jan 9, 2016

I am not a fan of sapphire either, it is a finger print magnet, u spend half the day whipping it clean very annoying

Taddyangle and Shabbaz like this.
  5. yinzerniner Jan 11, 2016

Sapphire
    Pros:
    -Much harder material, scratches much less likely
    -Almost all Speedy Pros with Sapphire crystal come with see-through exhibition caseback. Movement with exhibition casebacks is more decorated and has metal instead of plastic brake.
    -Sapphire adds less distortion and is optically clearer than Hesalite
    Cons:
    -Almost all Speedy sapphire crystals exhibit the "milky ring" effect due to their design.
    -Easier to chip and/or crack than Hesailite.
    -Scratches that might arise are much harder to get out
    -Replacement cost of crystal is much higher in the unlikely case you need to replace it
    -More reflective
    -Less distortion and a clearer crystal are not always preferred on the Speedy since its design is more vintage than modern.
    -Slightly heavier on the wrist
    -Speedy Pro model worn on moon didn't have Sapphire crystal, and they're not approved for flight by NASA
    -Caseback inscription is incorrect ("First" vs "Only" watch worn on moon)
    -Higher cost of entry (~15-20%), less supply

Hesalite
    Pros:
    -Hesalite crystal is more original to the watches worn on the moon, and all modern models with steel caseback are still flight-approved by NASA.
    -Distortion and slight optical cloudiness gives dial a "warm" and/or vintage look
    -Scratches can be polished out much easier
    -Less reflective
    -Models pre~1997 have the correct caseback inscription
    -Replacement cost or crystal much lower
    -Lower cost of entry, more supply
    Cons:
    -Picks up scratches easier
    -More distortion and less optical clarity
    -Most hesalite crystal models come with steel caseback. Only 3592/3572 come with exhibition caseback and decorated movement with metal brake.

I know I'm missing some but that's all off the top of my head. You really have to compare them side to side to make a final opinion though.
    Best of luck with the search.

6. abrod520 Jan 11, 2016

It's not a huge thing but I think the sapphire crystals also don't have the nice little Omega logo in the center, do they? My XI-45 is the only sapphire Omega I have, and it doesn't have one.

PatrickJ likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2016

No they don't...

PatrickJ likes this.
  8. abrod520 Jan 11, 2016

There you go then (thanks for confirming!)

I'm putting that in the "Con" column for sapphire as I like the little easter egg the Omega logo provides on the hesalite (along with all of the other benefits of the plastic crystal)

9. CTS-V Jan 11, 2016

Hesalite......next....

PatrickJ likes this.
  10. gmkelm Jan 11, 2016

Sapphire is flight approved by NASA in the X-33 generation 1 and 2.

Mark

superfly likes this.
  11. CTS-V Jan 11, 2016

But for EVA as well?

12. abrod520 Jan 11, 2016

As far as I know, no - the hesalite Speedmaster Professional is the only watch qualified for EVA

13. CTS-V Jan 11, 2016

Well....I guess there we have it. If one really wants to explore space....better get the hesalite now!;)

Vox Optimatium, 89-0 and kkt like this.
  14. yinzerniner Jan 11, 2016

Ah, forgot about that little nugget. Yes, it's definitely cool if you're really looking for it.
    I thought that the OP was only asking about the hand-wound Speedmaster Pros for the Hesalite vs Sapphire query since theres no Hesalite-crystaled X-33, but yes there are numerous other watches including the X-33 that are NASA flight qualified.

15. PatrickJ Jan 11, 2016

16. gmkelm Jan 11, 2016

The OP only specified "Speedmaster Professional", which includes the X-33, no mention of hand wound. I, however, prefer sapphire except in a watch that was originally supplied with a Hesalite crystal.

Mark

17. PatrickJ Jan 11, 2016

The X 33 is not EVA qualified. Only 321/861/1861 are EVA qualified.

18. bigtang1 Jul 25, 2016

I had a great weekend and picked up a Speedy with hesalite [no pictures till bday later in Aug :(] I looked at both the sapphire sandwich and the original moonwatch with hesalite - I'm sure it a personal choice but the hesalite face is much much nicer in my humble opinion.

BlueOxy and 89-0 like this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 25, 2016

Hesalite does provide a different look specially when looking from an angle. That said I love my hesalite or plexi vintage watches and love my modern sapphire .

20. rcs914 Jul 25, 2016

Sapphire is perfect in a watch that was designed to use a sapphire crystal originally. The big domed crystal on the Speedmaster doesn't lend itself well to sapphire because of the "milk ring" effect. On a watch with a flatter crystal it's great. Also because the sapphire is a unique shape, it is exceedingly expensive to replace (over $500).

BlueOxy and superfly like this.