Forums Latest Members

sapphire sandwich... price and things to look out for in used watches

1. basic66 May 22, 2019

Hey all, been a long time omega owner. Planning to get my hands on a sapphire sandwich. What's a good price for the piece these days?

Also my previous two omegas were both bought new, anything to watch out for when buying second hand? Im browsing on chrono24 as it seems like a pretty legit website, but anything else to be careful of? Im only looking at sellers with box and paper so far.

2. whyboddau May 23, 2019

Kinda depends what era you are shopping for. The earlier 3593.50 have been going for low $3k with b/p. I’ve seen the more recent .006 big box going for low to mid $4k.

3. basic66 May 23, 2019

hmm for the latest versions, why is it that on omega's site its retailing for 6k, but i can find them on chrono 24 brand new for around 4k?

4. robinhook May 23, 2019

It's 3573.50, not 3593.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 23, 2019

Chrono 24 is just a platform for sellers/dealers.

Many good, bad and ugly sellers use it so do due diligence as your buying off a seller not Chrono 24

I have had a good smooth deal with a dealer buying a modern watch before.

jankymutt likes this.
  6. jankymutt May 23, 2019

I can’t agree with this more. I just got into omega watches and contacted multiple dealers in Chrono24 but many of them just gave me a bad vibe. Their answers to simple questions demonstrated a clear lack of knowledge about the watch which made me question the authenticity of the watch, it’s true condition, and their pricing since they didn’t know their own product well.

I highly recommend buying either from the private sales area in here or the ‘watch sales’ area. Honestly, I felt more comfortable wiring private sellers and ‘dealers’ on the forum funds versus the dealers on Chrono24.

7. basic66 May 23, 2019

Ok u guys are making Chrono24 sound really sketch haha. How about “trusted dealers” with good reviews and are selling brand new sandwiches with pictures to proof, and recently stamped warranty cards??

jankymutt likes this.
  8. TheDuke1979 May 23, 2019

I purchased through Chrono24 and had to return the watch (my fault), but everything went smoothly. As people say, just exercise caution, you should be fairly safe. The Escrow payment platform seems to offer a reasonable level of protection.

9. mjb May 23, 2019

Huh, sandwich sapphire. I learned something new today. Cool.

I've looked at C24 and have been amazed at the variety of offerings and pricings. The escrow service probably gives you more security against replicas, but even then you're out of pocket for return postage and insurance, hassle and stress. Since they charge less commission than eBay, you have the potential to get a better deal. Or use the ads to find the seller and maybe deal directly with them or even FTF.

10. jankymutt May 23, 2019

There are many excellent sellers on here. If you find a watch you like in the for sale forum you can look through the reviews forum to see how past transactions with this seller have gone.

11. whyboddau May 23, 2019

Yes you are correct! Typo on my part.

12. Michael C May 23, 2019

I just had a terrible buying experience on Chrono24 buying a speedmaster and had to fight with the seller. Item completely misrepresented as to condition. The bracelet was broken and tons of other issues. But I purchased the same watch here from classified that turned out to be and amazing deal and a great seller. Kringkily is the gentleman I purchased from here and he is a really upstanding guy. You may want to contact him and tell him what you’re looking for and I bet he can find it. I will buy another watch from him in a heartbeat.

Edited May 23, 2019
  13. whyboddau May 25, 2019

Agreed on Kringkily endorsement. I’ve purchased from him too. Great to work with him and would again.