Forums Latest Members

Sapphire Replacement Crystal For A Speedmaster Mark III?

1. scundo Jan 7, 2016

I JUST got my Mark III back from Omega after having a light restoration done that included a new crystal (mineral). I am very careful with my watches and I have many with mineral crystals that are spotless. This is a tall watch though and it's quite difficult to protect it from dings all the time. The crystal on this is exceptionally easy to scratch. I'm very disappointed. I see these very fine hairline scratches when you tilt the watch to the light. I've searched everywhere and I can't find anyone that makes a replacement sapphire crystal for this watch. Hoping that somebody in the forum knows of one. It appears to be a standard size so I would think a generic sapphire could be fitted to the watch. Thank you in advance for your assistance!!

IMG_0312.JPG
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. alam Jan 7, 2016

well, if the crystal is exceptionally easy to scratch and a few fine hairlines will disappoint you, guess what's going to happen after a few times of wearing the watch in its new crystal? one hint....

image.jpeg
    tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. scundo Jan 8, 2016

I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I'm asking if the folks here know of a sapphire replacement crystal for this model or if a generic sapphire crystal can be fitted. All I have been able to find is mineral crystal replacements. I understand a watch is going to get scratched with wear over time. My disappointment is with how easy this new mineral crystal scratches though. I have watches that are many years old that get a lot of wrist time with mineral crystals that don't scratch this easily. Sapphire is much harder to scratch than mineral though and will keep the watch looking nice for a longer time. I understand a new mineral crystal will scratch just as easily as the current one.

Edited Jan 9, 2016
    alam likes this.
  4. scundo Jan 9, 2016

Otto Frei sells one. Just ordered it. FYI if anyone else is looking for a Sapphire replacement crystal for this unique Speedy, info below.

http://www.ofrei.com/page_168.html

Genuine Omega Sapphire Glass Crystal Case 176.002
    OME-062SN5203
    $98.00

Etp095 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 9, 2016

thx for sharing your newfound knowledge ... normally we just find that people ask stuff and once answered never come back again (let alone say thanks)

scundo likes this.
  6. scundo Jan 9, 2016

My pleasure. This forum is a great resource.

7. scundo Jan 12, 2016

Since I'm new to the forum, Omega's business practices of late may be old news to you guys but it was news to me. I wound up cancelling my order. Nothing wrong with the crystal. I could't find anyone to install it for me. I live outside Philadelphia, Jewelers Row, Sansom St. etc.. You would think I could find a watch repair person to do this job for me. Nope. Due to Omega's unethical (in my opinion) business practices, an independent will not work on an Omega. Especially a vintage Omega. The supplier cut off all independents in Dec 2015. No more spare parts. All in an effort by Omega to monopolize service from beginning to end. I called 6 jewelers and finally gave up. Every one said the same thing. They will not work on the watch. Period. I have no choice but to send it back to Omega and then there is a chance they won't even do the work. Even though I just had my watch serviced in October, they won't open it up just to put a crystal on. Not worth their time. They would insist on doing a full service to make it worth their while. 8 weeks and about 1000.00 judging from the last bill I got. I can't believe this. I spoke to the Omega boutique who handled my restoration and explained my situation. They have a guy onsite who believes he can polish the scratches out. At this point if they could just make it less noticeable I would be happy. You know it's funny. If this was a shitty Invicta I could get it repaired for 50 bucks.

Edited Jan 12, 2016
  8. italy1861 Jan 12, 2016

My understanding of the situation was independent watchmakers who fulfill Omegas training and equipment requirements for service still have access to parts. Only part supply houses like Otto Frei and Cousins UK were cut off. I know of at least one independent that still has his Omega parts account, he can't be the only one.

tyrantlizardrex, scundo and Archer like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2016

Not true at all. Omega didn't cut off any watchmakers, but the 3rd party suppliers those watchmakers buy from. I am an independent watchmaker with a parts account and can get parts directly from Omega just fine. The only people who can't get parts are those who can't or won't meet the requirements Omega has set out to get an account.

But there is another issue here...you are asking the watchmakers to void the Omega service warranty on your freshly serviced watch by opening it up, and then asking them to install a crystal that likely is not really intended for that model, and then I would assume their is an expectation of having them warrant the work. No matter what they told you, my guess would be that they simply didn't want to risk the watch coming back and them being on the hook to fix it if something unrelated goes wrong. The last person to touch the watch is "it" no matter if they caused the problem or not. For this reason many watchmakers, including myself, will only take in watches that require a full service. This is not the only reason for me, but its one of them certainly.

Cheers, Al

scundo likes this.
  10. scundo Jan 12, 2016

I appreciate the feedback. The information I posted were the comments of the people I spoke to and my opinion based on those discussions. They neglected to state they they could still work on Omega if they fulfilled some requirements. Basically getting one side of the story. Anyway, the crystal I initially purchased was an Omega factory part for my case 176.002. So not trying to Frakenstein my watch. I suspect now that this part is not really sapphire. My research has shown that they have never made a sapphire crystal for that case. Could be wrong of course. Part# is in an earlier post above. Regardless if it really is sapphire, not sure why they wouldn't install a factory part. I don't see how that would void any warranty but that's moot at this point since I'm back to dealing with the Omega boutique directly again. I know it sounds like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here. This watch was in sad shape when I got it though. Kept good time but it was never serviced. Case was scratched, the glass was horribly gouged. When I got it back from Omega it was stunning. To see the crystal all boogered up again after only 3 months made me sick. Hence my neurotic behavior :eek:

Again, thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Edited Jan 12, 2016
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2016

Just to clarify, anyone can work on any watch they want to...in fact you don't even need to be a watchmaker, as in most countries it is not a protected title or occupation. In the US for example state laws mandating that watchmakers are licensed was successfully challenged in court decades ago, so watchmakers are no longer licensed in the US. Pretty much anyone can hang out a shingle and start repairing/breaking watches, whatever the case may be...

There are no watchmaker police making sure untrained or uncertified people are working on specific brands. The issue is access to parts to effect repairs.

I'm on vacation so can't confirm but I don't think the crystal you have bought is sapphire, as those usually have SA in the part number rather than SN.

You mention that you don't know how this would void your warranty...well if anyone but an authorized Omega service centre works on your watch, it will void the warranty from the service that Omega did, and this is pretty much standard across the brands in this industry.

Cheers, Al

scundo likes this.
  12. scundo Jan 13, 2016

All good stuff Al. It's been an education. Thanks!

13. scundo Jan 13, 2016

FIXED. Diamond paste, a Dremel and a hour of my time got it back to 99.5%. There was one tiny scratch a little too deep to remove completely but it is much diminished. Fantastic product. Use in 3 steps, coarse to fine. Polish at SLOW speed. 7 or lower. Came out absolutely beautiful and only cost 26 bucks and my time. Amazon sells the paste. Item below.

DMT DPK Dia-Paste Diamond Compound Kit of 1, 3, and 6 Micron
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MF7JSO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

IMG_0510.JPG
    Edited Jan 15, 2016
    italy1861 likes this.
  14. rogart ray it again, Ram. Jan 14, 2016

Anyone tried Ceriumoxide? With that i think you can polish up the last finish of that crystal?

scundo likes this.
  15. scundo Jan 14, 2016

Going to order some to keep in the polishing kit. Now that I know I can do this, I'm going to work on the wife's watches. I'll post in this thread and let you know how the cerium oxide works. Really happy with how this worked out. I should've taken some before pics but forgot. If you tilted the watch in the light, the entire surface was covered in fine scratches and swirl marks with a deeper ding at 6:00.