Forums Latest Members
  1. spacekiwi May 31, 2012

IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0099.JPG Hi all,
    I have here pics of my grandfathers watch that my grandmother gave me over 20 years ago.
    It is what started me on admiring watches and understanding thier value of being more than just a timepeice or jewellery.
    My grandad died with this watch on.
    It was in 1966 and my grandmother and grandad were on up from wellington (NZ) to a town 3 hours north for my mothers 21st birthday.
    They left wellington at 9pm and two hours later approaching a large hill, they were hit headon by a truckdriver that had fallen asleep.
    My grandad died instantly but my grandmother lived, although was massive injuries and ultimately needed a cane to walk the rest of her life, and could only ever drive an automatic car due to permanet leg injuries.
    I recall as a boy the watch with a massive scratched face. She always kept it in her jewellery box.
    When I was 16 she gave me the watch and told me to look after it. Which I always have as it was the only link to my grandad that died 11 years before I was born.
    About ten years ago I took it to a watchmaker and had glass replaced and new strap and general service/repair.
    Amazingly considering the impact the watch must have endured and the years of never being used, it just need a general service.
    I wore this watch on my wedding day, as respect and fondness for my grandparents. (my grandmother died 5 years before my wedding)
    I hope that oneday any children I have will be able to admire and respect the link to the past that this watch represents to our family.
    As for the history of the watch before the accident, My grandfather left London in 1951 bound for Australia. However he had supposedly had watch before going to oz. so that would timeframe it from when he left Ireland in 1943 to work in London up until he departed to oz in 1951.
    Basically i am wondering does anyone know of Sandoz make, and roughly what year watch would be?
    The only numbers I can see are on the back stamped under the sandoz logo "720-97"
    aside from that there is "tropicalized waterproof" "shock protected swiss made" and "stainless steel back"
    Any further light shed on watch would be greatly appreciated, and also any stories that are unique to your special watch that you want to share would be lovely to read. thanks IMG_0093.JPG