Forums Latest Members

Salt water + planet ocean, any precautions?

1. b-16707 Mar 23, 2018

Planning a hawaii trip and was planning to take my PO (8900) on some snorkeling trips (im not a diver) for convenience's sake as I dont want to take it off and leave it somewhere nor do I want to bring multiple watches for multiple occasions with me. I assume this watch thrives in water environments =). But are there any precautions I should be aware of in terms of care for the watch and salt water environments? Should I rinse it afterwards? Not open the HE valve? etc?

2. Wetworks Mar 23, 2018

It's a Planet OCEAN. Pretty sure anything you'll throw at it snorkeling will be fine. And why would you open the He valve?

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2018

When would you ever need to mess with the HE valve :rolleyes:

mr_yossarian likes this.
  4. Rman Mar 23, 2018

With the helium valve in the out position it makes it harder for the barracuda’s mouth to get around your wrist, true... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Wetworks, Togri v. 2.0 and ulackfocus like this.
  5. MikeMan2727 Mar 23, 2018

Definitely enjoy it while swimming!

But be sure to rinse it with fresh water when you get to shore. I dive and like to wash off all my gear after a day of diving. Salt water can corrode over time.

6. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2018

This is one of those inane semi-repetitive subjects that make me want to go back into hibernation. :confused: ::facepalm2::

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 23, 2018

Be sure to rinse. I had the spring bars rust on my ploprof and literally had to cut them off.

8. b-16707 Mar 24, 2018

woohoo thanks! Ill be sure to rinse.

9. alam Mar 24, 2018

this is analogous of me asking... "I'm driving to Munich this weekend on my new 440i, should I be concerned of pushing this engine at 140KPH on the autobahn?" :confused:

@b-16707 here are some useful info/tips

10. mr_yossarian Mar 24, 2018

To balance the watch again? you should know better :)

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2018

If the watch hasn't been pressure tested in the last 12 months, I would do so before taking it in the water.

Cheers, Al

GregH likes this.
  12. b-16707 Mar 24, 2018

even with the near 0 depths of snorkeling?

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 24, 2018

Give it a good fresh water rinse after swimming. If you are unsure have it tested as suggested.

14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 24, 2018

Surely there is a blown seal joke lurking nearby... :D

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2018

I think there is a general misconception regarding water resistance, how seals work, and what depth ratings mostly pertain to.

The real difference between a watch that is rated say for 300 meters, and one rated for double that, is mostly structural. For example the case back might be made of thicker steel, the crystal made of thicker sapphire - this is to prevent deflection that might cause the watch to stop at extreme depths - water intrusion is only one way a watch can fail at depth. But the seals in both watches are Buna (nitrile) O-rings that have the same life span and function. These O-rings either work, or they don't, and the depth or pressure is mostly irrelevant to the O-ring.

People often seem to believe that if the watch starts out with water resistance that is 100% of the rated depth, over time it may drop to 80%, then 50%, and so on. In reality in most cases it goes from 100% to 0%.

You may not have a leak in the case back gasket, so that seal is working 100% - once case backs are screwed down they generally don't get opened, so there isn't any wear. However crown gaskets are subject to wear any time the crown is used when the watch is wound, or the time or date are set. So if the case back gasket is 100% but if the crown gasket is leaking and at 0%, it's not like you average them to get 50% effectiveness. You essentially have a hole in the case, so the water resistance is zero.

Now it's your watch, and you can get it tested or not - that is completely up to you. I was just trying to answer your question, and am using Omega's recommendation to do so:

[​IMG]

Note that the bottom of the page (this is taken directly from Omega's web site) it states that they recommend pressure testing once per year.

You didn't say how old the watch is, what kind of shape it is in, how it has been used - if you take it with you and get it wet it might be fine, and it might not. Up to you if you roll the dice or not. I've seen people report on forums Omega dive watches that mist up right from the factory, and I've seen other models get flooded when someone rinsed the case off under a tap - this was a watch that was only a couple of months old.

Note that even if the watch is under warranty, if it leaks it's very questionable if they will call it a warranty claim if the watch is more than a year old and it wasn't tested.

Cheers, Al

Hands90, GregH, Pythonos41 and 2 others like this.
  16. b-16707 Mar 24, 2018

very insightful, thanks @Archer

watch was bought 9/2016 by the 1st owner. Wont hurt to get it tested as i doubt it was ever tested.

Edited Mar 24, 2018