Forums Latest Members

Salt water corrosion Speedmaster

1. novina Nov 23, 2015

Just found this on ebay, would it be remotely worth going after? Automatic movement, missing case back, bezel looks washed out, seems to have gone for a swim in salt water. Have to assume it is a newer Speedy as the markings are on the right of the dial. Any chanc of rehab, or cost prohibitive for what it is?

Thanks,
    Rob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231752188466?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. flw history nerd Nov 23, 2015

Based only on a casual glance, it looks ruined. What were you planning to do with it? I can't imagine that it can be restored without great expense.

3. novina Nov 23, 2015

Just wanted to know if it was worth it. If anything was salvageable, it would perhaps be a good project, but at what price point would it be a useless endeavor? Without more information on the model and possible worth of it, even when it would cost a bit and than some to restore, it looks like a bad deal. So I guess it is not worth the effort. I will just keep looking.
    Thanks,

Rob

4. Canuck Nov 23, 2015

It has been written off. Someone has likely already checked into restoring it. That's why it is offered for sale. Best it should stay that way!

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 23, 2015

Not a desirable model so nothing really to be salvaged.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 23, 2015

Could be a decent project watch. All you need is a new case, movement, dial, hands, pushers and crown!

noelekal likes this.
  7. Canuck Nov 23, 2015

Like we used to say of jalopies during my high school days. "Just jack up the radiator cap and drive another car under it!" About the only value I see in owning such a watch might be as a reminder about the proper maintenance and use of a watch. Or as a paper weight or door stop!

8. jetkins Nov 23, 2015

Well someone decided it was worth $480. Go figure.

9. base615 Nov 24, 2015

Some people like to hold their watch round their knuckles to punch people in the face. That's about the only use I could visualise for this.

flw and Mad Dog like this.
  10. novina Nov 24, 2015

Well, at the sale price, I too would be kicking myself in the ass wondering what I just did. I know there are enough Omegas out there at that price level that actually work and look so much better and would be a fine addition to my small collection. But with all the talk about original bracelets and links, it made me wonder if these later models shared any of those desired traits with the earlier versions. Reading these comments affirms my suspicion that the newer production is currently no where as desirable as the early Speedys. Thanks for all the replies.

Rob