Forums Latest Members

Salesman with a mouthfulla samples/newbie Brian here

1. justbrian55 Feb 3, 2016

lol ~
    Nice site folks ~ tips me hat to all. 'n x2 for the uber experienced which drew me to sign up.
    umm, as with a few various subject forums I've signed on to, ie; Jeeps, air gunning, etc., I'm so amazed at the knowledge amassed. lol, true but who talks like that? Just the same I tip my hat.

I've inherited three fairly dandy Omega's. Dandy to me is they're gold and still run. Other than that I've no experience.
    It's just been fun poking about learning a bit here and there.
    One 1969 (mom had it engraved for stepdad that year) Seamaster DeVille, another from my stepfather a..thinks 1932- ish pocket watch..dented a hair but sweet glass 'n such.
    ~~From other side of fam, my grand-uncle's stash of when my father passed I found another Seamaster automatic just tossed in which a buncha watches and bands, in some pos little box. (grand Unc was a bit of repairman/jeweler from what heard)
    The Crystal is a bit beat but it runs, and it's one that's a self winder..feeling like a li'l potato bouncing around inside to wind it. (1953-ish?) ...old rectangle Gruen Veri thin, Hamilton open face pocket too.

So a hello to all, and I'll try and make any questions to not sounding as the shite salesman widda mouthful.

~~And perhaps I'll coin a phrase for a sig along the lines of; the Twist o Flex watch band company messed up a buncha nice watches from retaining originality by a few of the greatest generation.
    lol, yoiks! I laughed when I saw the twisto flex on my step dads gold Seamaster, but never found hide or hair or the original...same as the '53? or so self winder Seamaster.
    ~~In advance..Yes I can take a ribbing. ava great year all. Tips me hat~

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 3, 2016

Photos

Willem023, justbrian55 and cicindela like this.
  3. justbrian55 Feb 3, 2016

Roger that SF. I'll practice my macro a'billes and put them on the right page hopefully.
    I was looking about for photo rules of size. I don't have an image account anywhere..eh, and don't really care to.
    Maybe the sun will come out as well. :)
    thanks for stopping by~

4. Rman Feb 3, 2016

Welcome Twisty,
    You don't need a photo account, just click add photos, insert and see if you like the size before clicking reply.

justbrian55 likes this.
  5. alam Feb 3, 2016

Threads without photos will self....

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 10.00.39 PM.png
    justbrian55 likes this.
  6. justbrian55 Feb 3, 2016

lol, thanks kids.
    Myself I like 2-3.5 mb photos. Other forums I've been on reject such size unless a link.

7. Georgieboy58 Feb 4, 2016

Here it is more or less demanded that you upload your photos to the forum.
    This avoids the nasty situation that we all know form other fora, where you don't get the point if you look at older threads where half or all of the links to the external hosted pics are broken.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 4, 2016

That size should be fine here

9. ConElPueblo Feb 4, 2016

A quick way around that is to open the photo i MS Paint (yes, I know...) and edit the size to, say, 50%. It'll lose some detail, but not terribly much.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 4, 2016

You've described what we call a "bumper" automatic. 1953 is the correct time frame for this type of watch, particularly for the Seamaster line. Should look something like this:

[​IMG]

https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-test-of-the-cal-354-autowind.7705/

Regarding posting pictures on the site...

You can right click on any web photo and click "Copy", then paste it directly into a reply. That works unless the website has copy-protected the photos.

To upload a picture, click "Add Photos" below and take it from your computer or cellphone. 3MB+ photos might be too much for this site to handle.
    gatorcpa

11. justbrian55 Feb 4, 2016

Thank you for the information of photos guys
    ~~ and oh yes, bumper was the word I was missing. It's been awhile since I've opened it, but the photo above is giving me deja-vu.
    Only difference is the crown is a bald knob without any Omega icon on it. After searching hunerts of watch pix, I did find one of same-esque era with a bald crown ~~Could be another person with a bald crown who lost the original I don't know..and was a few years ago.
    ~I'll get to the photos, but probably post on another page/gate if I may word so.
    There would be specific questions I do have of each. (flaws 'n such)

12. justbrian55 Feb 4, 2016

Geez, I'll have to work on my macro pix taking. Various lighting I couldn't get a clear detail ~ Camera manual says if I drop back more than 19" it goes back to another range. :confused: umm, it wouldn't focus and it should to 3.9". I'll work on it.
    ~~ Anyway, new cwap photos is betta than none ay? (-: And can see If I got this posting right anyway.
    One as is and one I enhanced/zoomed.
    It's the sus'd 1953 Bumper automatic. 30x Lupe view on the side of the case (not seen) at twixt lugs says W 14k gold filled lettering.
    Till I get the photographing right, here we go. No sense re-opening until I get it right. (lol, forgot what I used. I don't see that I scratched it really)

CIMG0910.JPG CIMG0910 (2).JPG
  13. justbrian55 Feb 4, 2016

The crystal seems to be domed/tall for such a slender watch. I hope it's original.
    Watch is 32mm wide, 11mm crystal to base.
    Crystal is a bit scratched, and it looks to be some mild spotting..mold?..that doesn't show in the photos.
    I've always wondered if such can be buffed out...being we landed on the moon in 1969. :)

14. Rman Feb 4, 2016

The case may be original, but the dial has been poorly refinished. The sub seconds hand is incorrect, as well as the hour and minute. The movement is still a mystery of course. Being an heirloom, you could have it restored by someone with a steadier hand and a knowledge of Omega parts. Probably run you a few hundy with a service.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 4, 2016

Definitely a redial, but there's really nothing bad about that. Back in the day when these watches were worn all of the time, the dials sometimes suffered from moisture damage and were often re-painted as part of the routine service, as were hands/crowns/crystal replacements.

It could be restored to pristine condition but due to the case condition (well worn) it would be over-capitalisation.

I'd simply get it cleaned/oiled/adjusted (a standard service), tidy up the crystal and put it on a nice leather strap and enjoy it.

(PS: Get it off that flexi band, they tend to chew holes in the lugs!).

16. justbrian55 Feb 4, 2016

So you mean the print is like a Sharpie? Is there simple wording for; face been solvent cleaned of print and re-printed Coca cabana of Florida stylze, rum drink on the side, or did I hit it?

Yeah I thought the hands were a bit boring for a watch as. I'll wear it a few days and see if it keeps time/bumper does the potato tossing as should. :)
    ~ Thank you for your time Rman. Most appreciated. I had wondered why an Omega was tossed in a little box with others/parts my father retrieved after grand uncle passed.
    I did open it once, and how I dated it to '53-ish. So cool to see the inside. Pristine environment after so many years just clicking away.

17. justbrian55 Feb 4, 2016

And a thanks to you as well JimIn. Funny of the Flexi bands agreed for replacing.
    I wonder if there is a forum somewhere for old German versions. lol, I've one ..couple that shines a bit.
    tips me hat again.

Actually I didn't think the case looked too bad. Never been cleaned for eons. lol, I tried a shot shooting the back and seen my fingers and camera reflection so I gave up. Crown looks odd under the Lupe..colour missing where dome meets the knurled in places. It actually shines all the way around. Odd how 11:00 ring jobbie looks like that. Luped it looks maybe a few extra scratches.
    A good watch to let one know they're not moving about enough when cleaned/lubed up ay? :)

Eh, never mind, I just checked. It was keeping time, but now it's stopped. Musta broke the potato spring or such. :)
    lol, waaa, I bwoke it.

18. justbrian55 Feb 12, 2016

Jumpin' Jimney nOz.
    Ya said to get rid of the twisty band because it causes damage. So I removed it and tossed it in the waste basket...

Today for kicks I tried to find out what band originally might have come on my nicer, 1969-ish Seamaster. (slight chance my mom may still have it somewhere?)
    I ran across one on Etsy that said "original expanding Speidel band" ???
    Did does anyone know if Speidel ever made bands for Omega?.....sans any Omega signage?

So I dug out the band off of the 1953ish bumper Seamaster from the bin, put the lupe to it and it's a gold capped/filled/plated whatever its called.
    eesh! I feel a bit silly tossing gold in the trash.
    The band off of the 1969er was wasted with red paint and long gone now.
    Now I don't know if I tossed out the original band for it. (waaa)

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2016

Spiedel did not make bands for Omega. In the case you mentioned "original" means Grandpa bought it years ago :D

20. justbrian55 Feb 12, 2016

Thanks C, someone elses grandpa must have and the person said original Speidel.
    That Speidel musta made billions off the Twistoflex line due to a slough of old guys didn't want to mess with a strap anymore. lol, they're everywhere. I could decorate a Cmas tree. :)
    And I've an Acier German version named Fixoflex in the box of Lucky Charms :) from my great uncle, the watch hack?

Trying a few quick photos of other watches in the box. Coupla Gruen's, Hamilton pocket jobbie. See how it goes.