Forums Latest Members
  1. ECFlorida Apr 29, 2017

Hello all,

Newcomer here and I have been mightily impressed with the depth of the knowledge (and humor) of those posting on these threads.

I have been advised my a good mate to keep my eyes open for vintage chronos in my purchasing sweeps and found this Speedy 2998-4 recently. The former owner (now deceased) had money and good things, but relegated this to the bottom of the watch box for no other reason other than that it was not working. He was an avid sportsman and this seems to be exactly the type of watch that would have appealed to him in this youth.

From the comments and advice seen here, I gather that the hands have been replaced at some point and it is in pretty grimy condition. I cannot seem to get the movement cover off and don't want to force it...any advice on that? All this said, where does one go to get it back in working order? Everyone seems to say "DON'T SEND IT THE FACTORY"...

IMG_1394.JPG IMG_1395.JPG IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG
    bhove, bazamu, fibonacci086 and 2 others like this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 29, 2017

Where are you located?

3. ECFlorida Apr 29, 2017

On the east coast of Florida, north of Palm Beach.

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 29, 2017

Sweet watch, and thanks for coming on here. Others will have great insight.

ECFlorida likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 29, 2017

If you are going to sell it then sell as is - you will get more with far less hassle.

If you are going to keep it then send it to STS or SimonFreeseWatchmakers.com. STS will have more parts but Simon seems to be getting what he needs.

Both are in UK.

I dont know anyone apart from them I would send a 2998 to.

You need some good vintage alpha hands but otherwise should be ok, subject to the movement.

Use a blade to get between the cover and the movement ring, near the crown. Go carefully - you are just trying to lift it enough to allow a watch knife blade into the gap.

Watchmakers here may tell us thats a terrible idea but it has worked without damage so far for me.

marco and oddboy like this.
  6. brunik Apr 29, 2017

Very nice watch...

ECFlorida likes this.
  7. ECFlorida Apr 29, 2017

That is great advice. Many thanks! From what I gather...a pair of vintage hands might set me back circa $2,000-2,500?

8. mozambique May 3, 2017

Lat pair of vintage alphas went for ~$3k on ebay last year.
    Re. where to get it serviced. Closer to home, there is of course Al Archer (@Archer on OF) who is an Omega certified independent watchmaker located near Toronto, Canada.

grizzlycanuck likes this.