Forums Latest Members
  1. Kraut783 Nov 23, 2018

Sooo....I like mechanical watches, I have a couple of Omega's (Speedmaster Pro and Seamaster SMPc) a great Stowa Flieger, some seiko divers and a couple digital watches, Suunto's I was issued while in the Army.

I like gadgets too....so, with much hand wringing, I pulled the trigger on a Black Friday special on the Samsung Galaxy watch (42mm Black)...my first smart watch. I look forward to playing around with it and can pair it with my work S9 and personal S7 Active phones.

Anyone else play around with them? I will post pics when I get it!

superfly likes this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 23, 2018

I find they make nice shims for correcting wobbly tables

Edited Jan 5, 2019
    kkt, Joe_A, S.H. and 10 others like this.
  3. stogie530 Nov 23, 2018

I bought the previous model last summer, it was nice for when I was cycling but the novelty of it wore off pretty quick Screenshot_20181123-212515.jpg . I ended up giving it to my much younger brother in law.

superfly and Kraut783 like this.
  4. Huus Nov 23, 2018

vintage-school-desk.jpg
    My old school desk was a bit wobbly. In those day the miss used a her empty cigarette packet to prop the corner. Loved my old inkpot desk. As this was in the tropics the ink would evaporate faster then we could write. Different times.

Spacefruit, Willem023 and Pun like this.
  5. haqq777 Nov 23, 2018

As @stogie530 mentioned, novelty wears off really quick. I have the Gear S3.

20181028_195345.jpg
    superfly and Kraut783 like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 24, 2018

I have two I phones. That’s enough for me.

kkt, Pun and superfly like this.
  7. ras47 Nov 24, 2018

I had an Apple Watch for a while. Dove in head first with the extreme connectivity and was amazed. But it wore thin pretty quickly. What began as connectivity morphed into obtrusiveness and I just couldn't stand it anymore. One aspect I never got used to was the need to charge the watch constantly. Back to mechanical watches for me!

Smart watches can be fun and useful. Depends on what you're looking for. I'm more old school, and while I have a love of technology, I don't base my lifestyle around it. I want my technology to fit into my own lifestyle. When I want to unplug I leave my cell phone on the charger. Sometimes I slip a dumbphone into my pocket (RAZR flip phone) for emergencies, but it stays in my pocket. But it's only there if I need to make an emergency call, or if a handful of people need to reach me. Speedmaster on my wrist, no technology to interrupt whatever I'm doing, and I'm present in my environment. Feels good.

zinengineer, Pun, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  8. Kraut783 Nov 24, 2018

Thanks for all the replies....I am looking forward to just messing with it, probably will not be part of my normal rotation, I will see how the work out apps do for me.

9. superfly Nov 24, 2018

I have two Samsung Galaxy S3s. Notice they are not turned on (because they are not charged). ;)

Great watches, though. I really liked taking and making phone calls on them, and reading texts and emails... for a while. Now I like being a little less connected.
    20181124_093623.jpg

Kraut783 and haqq777 like this.
  10. Canuck Nov 24, 2018

Such trinkets will end up in landfill somewhere, sometime, when someone comes out with a newer gimmick. Meanwhile, the archaic collectible watches which enjoy such a high profile on this (and other) message boards will continue to be enjoyed.

kkt, Pun, marco and 3 others like this.
  11. Kraut783 Nov 25, 2018

Absolutely Canuck, my mechanical watches can never be replaced by a digital device!

12. Millenary Watches Nov 26, 2018

For those who want to combine digital with mechanical, have a look at the Halda Race Pilot with interchangeable modules - one digital and one mechanical:) That's the furthest I stretch towards a "smart watch".

superfly likes this.
  13. Willem023 Nov 26, 2018

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

EEEEEEKKK ::censored::::puke::

Schermafbeelding 2018-11-26 om 13.01.41.png

::confused2::

:D:D:D

W

14. Perseus Nov 26, 2018

Smart watches certainly have their place. I wear a Garmin Fenix 5 for sports and working out as mechanical watches don't provide GPS and heart rate information.

superfly likes this.
  15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 26, 2018

Sounds like you need a Pulsations bezel :cool:

16. vbrad26 Nov 26, 2018

I never had any interest but about a year ago I inherited my wife's Apple Watch since she upgraded to a newer model.
    I wear it when I'm around the house, after work or on the weekend, or use it while working out.
    But it never gets any REAL wrist time.
    I mean it's handy and all, since like I said, I typically just wear it around the house and that way I can leave my phone mostly wherever and will get any notifications directly to my wrist.
    But any time I have my phone in my pocket (pretty much any time I leave the house) the Apple Watch stays home.
    However, that being said, I do believe I am going to buy the new series 4 Apple Watch.
    The one I have is the first generation so it is getting pretty old and slow and the battery is pretty shot.
    So I guess I like it/use it enough to justify dropping $400 on it...
    Or I could just find a Prospex lol......

Kraut783 and superfly like this.
  17. superfly Nov 26, 2018

I do like my Garmin Fenix 3 HR. Battery life is about 3 weeks which amazes me. And do you see in the picture below? I can see my pulse rate instantly. Taking my pulse with my Omega Speedmaster takes at least 10 seconds. ;)

Garmin Fenix.jpg

Kraut783 likes this.
  18. chanbar Jan 4, 2019

Works wants me to have one. Offered to pay for it as well since I leave my phone all the time in the office. Not sure if I want/need one. I guess I could wear my actual watches in my right arm....we do have two arms