Forums Latest Members

Ryrie Bros. Longines? watch

1. kkt Oct 18, 2016

I have my grandmother's watch, a jewelry store house brand. Ryrie Brothers of Toronto was active approximately 1880-1924, and most of their movements were from Longines. Markings on the watch:
    Movement serial number 1965914, Ryrie Bros., Toronto, 15 jewels, Swiss
    The dial measures 29.1 mm diameter.
    Case: serial number 118688, A.W.C. Co. (cross) 18K
    The case is a demi-hunter pocket watch, with brackets for a wrist strap added.
    I found the Ryrie Brothers catalog for 1921 online and they have some very similar watches listed, though for 1921 they list only 14K. Ryrie describes two 15-jewel movements: The "Service" has Breguet hairspring, compensation balance. The "St. James" is just described as "good". They don't translate them into maker and caliber, and of course I don't know for sure that it's a movement from 1921, it might be an earlier or later model.
    The watch was used and serviced regularly to the 1990s, and has been sitting in a safe since then. I brought it to Nesbit's in Seattle, and they tell me the staff is broken - my mom was probably not able to locate a watchmaker who could repair it.
    Naturally I want to get it working again, and as a family heirloom it's worth more to me than the market price. I know it's not in very good condition, but it still has charm to me.
    So my questions:
    Is this a Longines movement, and can you identify the caliber? I hoped the serial number on the movement might be a Longines serial number and wrote to Longines 10 days ago and haven't had a response. What's their usual response time; should I write again? Or will they probably have nothing to say about a house brand?
    Any suggestions for a watchmaker who can locate or make replacement parts? I am in Seattle, but prepared to ship the watch if necessary.
    My thanks for any help!
    dial reduced.jpg movement reduced.jpg movement-2 reduced.jpg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 18, 2016

Is the movement about 34mm in diameter? If so it is a variant of this movement.
    http://ninanet.net/watches/others09/Mediums/mlonginesmil.html

Chrono grade of your movement maybe.... but oriented wrong for the running seconds, might be able to supply parts.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Longines-Ch...010383?hash=item4b01d0d4cf:g:dOcAAOSwxndXTghLPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

or 38mm movement oriented wrong
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUNDE-UPMEY...359102?hash=item28226e80be:g:UJAAAOSwLF1YAsHyPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

In the end you need to provide more info then what you have, ie the size of the movement in diameter.

To be honest that dial is chiped, this will cost you way more then it is worth to get the movement back in working condition, let alone the rest of the watch.

kkt likes this.
  3. kkt Oct 18, 2016

No, it is smaller than those. The dial is 29.1 mm, the movement slightly smaller, about 28.5 mm. I haven't been able to get the movement all the way out in order to measure it. Is there a reference work that would show how what 28 to 29 mm movements with 15 jewels Longines made from 1880 to 1924?

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 18, 2016

Research. Try ladies versions.

5. Vitezi Oct 18, 2016

The Ranfft database of watch movements is comprehensive and can be a good place to start.
    Click on this link... http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk ...and type "longines" into the search window. The 10.85 caliber or 11.87 caliber appear similar to your movement but are different in diameter.

6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Oct 18, 2016

Yes.
    Looks like a caliber 13.81 (29.3 mm) to me.
    It is.
    These days, anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks.
    They will tell you the original date of invoice, the caliber, and the country that it was originally sold to.

Edited Oct 18, 2016
    kkt, Vitezi and Foo2rama like this.
  7. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Oct 18, 2016

@kkt You may want to write Longines again. It certainly will not hurt your chances.

Below is a Ryrie-Birks that I have got.
    IMG_7296.jpeg
    certtt.JPG

kkt and Vitezi like this.
  8. kkt Oct 18, 2016

9. kkt Oct 20, 2016

I reminded Longines, and heard back from them:

Originally, the serial number 1'965'914 identifies a Longines
    mechanical manually wound movement, caliber 13.98. It was invoiced on
    27 May 1908 to the company Longines-Wittnauer, which was at that time
    our agent for the USA.

Now off to find a watchmaker.

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  10. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Oct 20, 2016

I am curious about the existence of a caliber 13.98 as it is absent from Patrick Linder's comprehensive reference book. Based on a bit more searching, I am now convinced that your watch contains a caliber 13.82 despite some screws still not matching. Anyhow, Longines was producing many similar movements at that time and I suspect that many parts will be interchangeable so it shouldn't really matter.
    13.82.JPG
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/longines-turkish-ottoman-pocket-watch-baghdad-802305-3.html

11. kkt Oct 20, 2016

There's clearly such a thing as a Longines caliber 13.98. Google shows several movements and parts for sale or sold, and on at least one the 13.98 is visible engraved. Perhaps the difference between it and 13.82 is as much marketing as function?

Anyone had any experience with dial restorers or replacers? The chip out of this watch is pretty noticeable. Although I appreciate originality, this watch's chipped and cracked dial doesn't have any collector's value to diminish, perhaps I might as well make it look as good as possible. Thoughts?

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 20, 2016

Afaik once porcelain is chipped its game over. The costs will far outweigh the value.

13. kkt Oct 20, 2016

I am keeping the watch, not fixing it up to sell. So I don't care whether the repairs will pay for themselves in resale value. What I'm wondering is if the people who offer repair service for enamel dials actually produce an attractive dial that would look good on a lady's wrist. If the end result isn't going to look attractive, there's no point.