Forums Latest Members
  1. IgCarr Mar 8, 2018

Russell Crowe got divorced and is throwing an auction to celebrate. Sotheby's is selling many of Crowe's (and former Crowe's) things at an auction called, "Russell Crowe: The Art of Divorce". One of the items up for sale is this Omega Automatic:
    Russel Crowe Omega Automatic.jpg

From the auction catalogue:
    automatic winding 'bumper' movement, 17 jewels, salmon pink dial, alternating black Roman numerals and dot hour markers, subsidiary seconds dial at 6, blued steel hands, inner minute track, 18ct gold case, snap on case back engraved with initials RJM and HERMES, case, dial and movement signed, diameter 34mm.

Accompanied by a signed letter from Russell Crowe stating his ownership.

Provenance
    Mr Russell Crowe, Sydney

'This watch was a gift from Meg Ryan. I don't know who the initials RJM refer to.' Russell Crowe

The estimate is $1500 to $2500. No mention of an extra charge for the redial....

Gil, eugeneandresson and Nobel Prize like this.
  2. Candle00 Mar 8, 2018

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 8, 2018

242016-gladiator.jpg
    He must have forgotten to put his watch on before going to work.

ulackfocus and Candle00 like this.
  4. ATWG Mar 8, 2018

5. Ravineman Mar 8, 2018

meg_ryan_l.jpg perfect. Now I have a reason for disliking Russell Crowe. If Meg Ryan ( before she had her facial surgery ) gave me an Omega, even one that was redialed, I would never sell it. No wonder he's getting divorsed lol

Uniqez, Gil and Candle00 like this.
  6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 8, 2018

he lives around the corner. should talk to him , what to collect. looks like he needs a great deal of guidance ...... kind regards. achim

7. rcs914 Mar 9, 2018

Unless someone really wants that because he owned it, I think the auction estimate is high.

Gil likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2018

If any of you guys ever dated an actress, you’d completely understand why such a large percentage of Hollywood marriages end in divorce. They’re completely NUTS. The thing is, the better they are at their craft, the less of a concept of reality they have.

marco, lando, blufinz52 and 3 others like this.
  9. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2018

So if she gave you an Omega after her facial surgery, you’re saying you’d sell it?

What about a Rolex?

So is the brand of watch or the facelift the root of your issue? ::confused2::

:D :p

gemini4, Gil, blufinz52 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Rman Mar 9, 2018

All this points to something we already knew, Hollywood watch dealers are pawning off redials and put-togethers on their favorite targets—- unsuspecting and horologically uninformed millionaires.

11. Ravineman Mar 9, 2018

I guess I need to post her after surgery picture for you ..... I don't know how she looks in the mirror ! So sad really. She did a poor redial on her beautiful original face !

gemini4, Gil and ulackfocus like this.
  12. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2018

Back in the day, Ravineman would be getting a custom avatar message at this time. I’m sure there are several things I could have done to memorialize the facelift / redial quote. ;)

13. michael22 Mar 9, 2018

'This watch was a gift from Meg Ryan. I don't know who the initials RJM refer to.'

Isn't this the alternate version of giving a lady an engagement ring with the previous GF"s initials on it?

Gil likes this.
  14. jetkins Apr 7, 2018

The automatic went for AU$10k, and the Speedy for AU$14k (plus a 22% buyer's premium).

15. Gil Apr 9, 2018

With apologies to the purists, I was an unsuccessful bidder on the automatic. Sothebys rang the day after and offered it to me after the original buyer failed to pay so I took it at AUD 9,500 plus premium and GST - total AUD12,200. In the flesh the face it is duller and browner (less salmon) than the published image suggests, but it is still too clean to have not been refinished (unless it has never been out in the light but the strap is well worn). The original image shows what looks like part of the railway track missing near the second hand, but its a smudge in the photo. Works perfectly and it looks stunning so I can forgive the work that's been done on it. Seriously, I absolutely love it. It's a keeper. (Not really apologising - I bought it fully aware of this). Has anyone got an image of what an original of that model might have looked like? The advert said 1945 but the authentication doc says "Circa 1940". Any info appreciated. Thanks everyone. Omega Russ.jpg

16. Gil Apr 9, 2018

It's on my wrist as I type and my imagination is responsible for 80% of the purchase price. Bargain! :)

17. Gil Apr 9, 2018

Like almost everything at the auction it went (predictably) WAY over the estimate.

18. Gil Apr 9, 2018

It's very like a c 1947 centenary model. What do you think?

19. michael22 Apr 9, 2018

I don't like the Centenary dials much, this looks much nicer, IMO.
    Glad you're excited with your purchase.

Gil likes this.
  20. Gil Apr 9, 2018

I hereby acknowledge michael22 as the nicest person I’ve met online in a very long time. Thanks M.