Forums Latest Auctions Members

Rules For Noobs

1. Stewart H

Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 4, 2016

I just thought I'd invite members to post here all of the Noob things that really p::censored::s us all off.

I bet this gets deleted rather than being made a sticky, but here goes:

1/ Set yourself an avatar before asking questions - it will make members take you more seriously and avoid the wrath of @ulackfocus

2/ Don't try to use the collective 1,000s of years of knowledge like a search engine - explain what you want to know and why. Also show that you have tried to do some serious research before asking.

3/ Don't talk about a watch you inherited from an uncle (of someone who used to "see" your mum)

4/ Be prepared to give as well as take.

5/ Post pictures with your question - clear ones.

6/ Don't just ask for a valuation because you have a watch you want to sell and have no intention of contributing to the community.

7/ Don't get upset because people tell you something you don't want to hear.

8/ Don't try to use the members here to do your due diligence before purchasing a watch - do your own research first.

9/ Explain why you have reservations about something rather than just ask what other people think.

10/ Never claim to have a prototype unless you have documentation to justify that claim.

Post away

aap, tdmong, Nobel Prize and 6 others like this.
  2. ahsposo

ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 4, 2016

That's a good prototype for a set of rules...

ulackfocus likes this.
  3. dennisthemenace

dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 4, 2016

It's not noobs that piss me off, its members with a couple of dozen posts who feel that they have some right to belittle noobs by making sarcastic comments.
    Mods, feel free to set me a avatar, do your worst. I wouldn't mind the pissed off cat BTW.

Neonwatch, aap, danomar and 3 others like this.
  4. alam

alam Mar 4, 2016

oh boy! :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 6.17.04 PM.png
    Tritium and ulackfocus like this.
  5. flyingout

flyingout Mar 4, 2016

But it makes for very entertaining threads. I vote no on that rule.

Superdoc and Traveler like this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large

Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 4, 2016

Like one of these?
    640_2013_05_31_18_58_21.jpg 20130915-190532.jpg

7. STANDY

STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 4, 2016

11/ we are not your private fashion gurus and can not tell if a watch suits you or not ( unless we see everything you are wearing as a wrist suits every watch ever made )

8. mtg

mtg Mar 4, 2016

when i started in my profession an old wise client told me that if i was ever lucky enough to obtain a fair amount of knowledge about something i should remember that it doesn't mean i know everything about everything. Yes, newbies can be annoying. But do you want to use the knowledge you worked so hard to obtain as a weapon, or do you want to encourage as many people as possible to enjoy your hobby? Treating people new to the passion of watches poorly reflects more on the wise ones than on the newbies.

MK1965, terryb111, Superdoc and 9 others like this.
  9. ulackfocus

ulackfocus Mar 4, 2016

Ask, and ye shall receive. :D

Thank you for making it so convenient! :thumbsup:

10. ulackfocus

ulackfocus Mar 4, 2016

Actually, I do enjoy the hissy fits a n00b throws when we tell them their watch is __________ (fill in 'not rare by any stretch of the imagination', 'not the least bit valuable and would sell for maybe $200 in it's current condition', 'more fake than a $3 bill', etc.).

Willem023, arkstfan and Traveler like this.
  11. ulackfocus

ulackfocus Mar 4, 2016

Look, I don't hate n00bs. The hobby needs fresh blood. However, I do despise demanding n00bs who don't bother to do one straw of homework and expect us to do all their research. I also can't stand stupidity - like asking if a watch is original / authentic but not including pictures. :rolleyes: ::facepalm2:: :coffee:

12. mtg

mtg Mar 4, 2016

Totally understand getting upset with people who don't want to do the work. I just like that Omega owners are thought of differently as a group than Rolex owners as a group. More down to earth and fun. And yes, more tolerant.

marturx and STANDY like this.
  13. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 Mar 4, 2016

LOL

14. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

I think they're all rather valid points but at the same time I don't want to make it harder or raise the barrier of entry for new members. Knowledge needs to be passed on as time progresses else it is lost, and a lot of people who later became very helpful and knowledgable people were lost in the beginning as was I when I first had questions about a vintage Piepan.

In my case I had a pile of idiot questions and received incredibly generous help from @mondodec a few years before this site even existed, so I'd rather people tried to show the new members the same patience that Desmond was good enough to show me.

MK1965, nxw1969, Ludi and 9 others like this.
  15. ISAKOFF

ISAKOFF Mar 4, 2016

16. mtg

mtg Mar 4, 2016

Well said. I have learned more about watches in general from the forum members here by just spending time reading all of your great posts.

marturx likes this.
  17. cicindela

cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

One of the things that is sometimes difficult for folks to master is the art of Not responding to inquiries. That is: you may have the answer to a post, but don't always try to be the first to reply. You can bet dollars to Dunkin Donuts that someone else knows the answer too. Give others a chance. As stated by Ash above, people learn while here, give them a chance to try out their new knowledge and super powers. Sure mistakes will be made, we all make mistakes. Someone will chime in to correct things, the world will still turn. Teaching is the road to mastery.

Matty01, Tire-comedon, 250scr and 4 others like this.
  18. off

off It could have been bug spray. Mar 4, 2016

Good stuff, part of the basic rules of living life right there. I cannot believe sometimes this has to be told to grown adults.

Traveler likes this.
  19. LouS

LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

There are fewer adults in the world than we are led to believe

aap and Syrte like this.
  20. gatorcpa

gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

Same goes for me. Desmond was extremely helpful when I was starting out.

It's called "paying it forward".
    gatorcpa