Forums Latest Members

Rules for "consolidating"?

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 10, 2017

Greetings everyone,
    I've been thinking about letting go some watches to pare down, but have found it difficult to pick which and on what basis.
    For example
    -two of the watches I was thinking about are such perfect examples I feel it would be silly to sell them.
    Conversely, there's are a couple items that have slight imperfections-- and therefore perhaps I should let them go, but they are more in focus-- which makes me reluctant.
    I wear them all but they are not necessarily the ones I wear most or with the most pleasure.

Do you have any guidelines or rules?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Best regards
    S

Jwit, George.A, Longbow and 4 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2017

Don't sell anything you will regret and don't sell them on the basis that hopefully you can buy them back later... I did that with my Gemini 4 then the prices doubled now I get taunted by gorgeous pictures of them from the pile of people I talked into getting one themselves.

Jwit, George.A, Longbow and 11 others like this.
  3. NT931 Aug 10, 2017

Well, as a person who sells sporadically, and who buys more than he sells, perhaps I'm the worst person to give advice but here goes:
    1. Sell only what is potentially replaceable - if you have a rare model, keep it if you wear it, even if you wear it infrequently
    2. Do not sell what brings you joy, even if the price is good, and especially for vintage. I have a patina-ed 5513 that puts a smile on my face each time I put it on. Doubt I'd ever sell it. Ditto for my 1815 and my FPJ CB.

With 'rules' like these, no wonder I'm totally crap at thinning down my collection :whistling:

Wryfox, George.A, corn18 and 8 others like this.
  4. MaiLollo Aug 10, 2017

I don't think that there is a guideline that will prevent you from making "mistakes", but chances are, you will miss some of your pieces.
    As far as I'm concerned, I'll never sell the watches that have sentimental value (gifts, or wether I've created my own special bond with them) or watches that I know will always be the focus of my collection (Speedy, Bundeswehr, Carrera).
    For the rest, I make sure I have a good time buying and experimenting watches that tickle my fancy. Once I get my eyes on something else, and I wear a piece less than I should, I sell it.
    I've sold around 30 watches, and have no regrets. I'd love to have enough money to keep all of them, but I don't, and I only sell after putting quite a bit of thought into it.
    From what you've stated, I would just suggest you to be "emotional" about the process, and not sell the non-perfect watches, just because they're not perfect...
    Hope this is helpful!

George.A, Longbow, Kmart and 4 others like this.
  5. SeanO Aug 10, 2017

Why did you buy them?

As your taste changed?

Are they irreplaceable?

It sounds like you're suffering from the "end of the first flush" colliwobbles.

Be brutally honest and get rid of everything that isn't perfect or your favourite.

heavenscloud, Jwit, Longbow and 2 others like this.
  6. cristos71 Aug 10, 2017

Lay them all out, start by making two groups, "keepers" and "maybes"

Next look at only the "maybes" and split into two groups, the "sellers" and those to be put back with the rest of the "keepers"

Put the "sellers" out of sight and look at the "keepers" group, do you miss anything from this group or does it look a leaner and more attractive collection? If you're not happy have another look at the group of "sellers", if you're happy with the "keepers" then store the "sellers" from this moment on separately to the "keepers" and begin the consolidation sell off.

lando, Wryfox, blubarb and 11 others like this.
  7. sxl2004 Aug 10, 2017

For me it all comes down to the emotional reaction I have when swing/ wearing a watch. To paraphrase the Cadillac ad:
    "When you turn on your car, does it return the favor?"

:D:cool:

Wryfox, Atalien2005, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Aug 10, 2017

As someone who's gone from 35 to 8, through necessity, more than desire, I feel your pain @Syrte.

I went through the process like this:

What will I not sell? - My dad's watch, and the watch my parents bought me for my 21st Birthday.

From there, everything else was negotiable, because ultimately, as nice as watches are, they're just things.

Next questions I asked of each piece were:

Will this be hard/expensive to replace?

How often do I wear this?

Will I feel sad to no longer have this watch?

It's not something to rush in to, but when you become analytical about these things, you'll discover there are some things you're more willing to part with than others.

Good luck.

Jwit, lando, blubarb and 10 others like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 10, 2017

I have this struggle too. Every time I think I have candidates I focus on them and start wearing them more. Not there yet. Echo ... Don't sell what you can't replace...

Jwit, blubarb, Longbow and 2 others like this.
  10. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 10, 2017

@Syrte - going through this a little as well! I think @cristos71 , @tyrantlizardrex and @Larry S make great points that run parallel to each other, especially the part of "don't sell what you can't replace." If it's rare and hard to find, that can play a factor as well...it's got me reorganising what to pass on too!

Jwit, blubarb, Longbow and 2 others like this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 10, 2017

I would add that @Syrte .. you put a lot of thought and effort into what you buy from the stories you tell here. I would surmise your watches all have stories. Stories are hard to part with.

Jwit, Longbow, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  12. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 10, 2017

Do you HAVE to sell, or to you simply think it would be more reasonable? Because there's nothing reasonable in watch collecting... Well with this reasoning I did not sell many watches in years (probab;y less than ten, I have put apart a dozen that I still could sell, but did not list them for the moment as there is no emergency), but I traded the ones that were not my main focus for others that I prefer and now my collection is quite focussed.

Syrte and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 10, 2017

Letting go is hard. I too am in similar situation.

I sold several watches last year. They were ones that were not perfect examples (over polished) or had service parts. I don't regret nor do I miss any of those watches.

I'm about to sell several more watches, but I have been saying this for 3+ months. The ones I'm planning to sell are nice examples but they are ones I don't wear very often and have no sentimental value to me.

I am going to try to sell them in October.

I do regret selling my blue fifty fathoms. Such a hard watch to find on the used market. It was in pristine condition.

Selling the FF was stupid. Selling this one...Never!

IMG_20170616_100704.jpg

Jwit and Syrte like this.
  14. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Aug 10, 2017

I usually don't dwell over sold watches. Certainly not when I manage to improve my collection. The ones I regret are the ones that didn't lead to improvement.

So if selling two nice watches fund one super watch, I'm happy. That's my advice :)

Jwit, blubarb and Syrte like this.
  15. WatchVaultNYC Aug 10, 2017

I think it depends on how you view your collection. My collection is more about "wearing" than "acqusition". So when I pare down the collection, the one that is used least is the first to go. Sentimentals are exempted of course

Syrte likes this.
  16. river rat Aug 10, 2017

I know your into vintage watches just remember if they are very collectible ones and down the road you mite change your mind and want to get another. They mite be double the price you sold them and you mite not want to pay that so gone forever. Like I got a Hanhart 417 and a Tudor Snowflake I would never pay what they sell for today they would be gone forever if I let them go. I sold a WW1 Depollier US issued water proof watch with one of the first screw down crowns with a Illinois movement I wished I never sold I would not mind another there rare as hen's teeth and would not pay what one would sell for today so it's never returning gone for ever did get a vintage Zenith Special kind of took it's place in the collection. Think real hard on ones you mite sell.

Edited Aug 10, 2017
    Syrte likes this.
  17. omegastar Aug 10, 2017

The best rule for consolidating is to only sell a watch when you have found the same in better condition.

Jwit, micampe, Kmart and 4 others like this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 10, 2017

Dear gentlemen thank you for all of your thoughtul replies and suggestions.

To answer some of your questions and observations, @dsio @Tire-comedon @river rat @Larry S, yes part of the quandary is that those being vintage watches, some of them with a story indeed, some with unusual patina, some in exceptional condition, everyone of them feels pretty hard to replace. So I am indeed fearful I might regret selling.

It's not just about being reasonable @Tire-comedon, sometimes it's just an irrational "clean up" mood, but then the problem arises when I consider each watch individually.
    However I will try the methods you all suggest, and see how it goes.
    @MaiLollo I like the approach of being more emotional about it, thanks so much again @tyrantlizardrex @SeanO @cristos71 @WatchVaultNYC @sxl2004 @NT931 @omegastar @BartH for the ideas you have outlined.

@river rat one of the ones I'm considering selling is that Waltham A17 which was my first "serious" vintage watch, which has the nice original crown and looks almost like new. At this stage I wear it much less but I'm pretty sure it would be very difficult to find another in similar condition. And it'a a beautiful watch even though again I feel I have somewhat moved on.

Edited Aug 10, 2017
    Jwit and MaiLollo like this.
  19. Nathan1967 Aug 10, 2017

.....and only sell here on OF, that way if you really want something back in your collection again you know where you can find it! As a condition of sale you can always state dibs too!

All the best

Nathan

20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 10, 2017

Thank you Nathan, I would definitely sell on OF and a couple of other forums where I know like minded enthusiasts who could be interested.

Jwit and Nathan1967 like this.