Forums Latest Members

Ruined fathers speedy looking for 861 movement

1. Collins11 Apr 7, 2016

I swam with my father's speedmaster in Central America. Ruined the movement. Looking to buy a complete movement to replace the rusted one. Any suggestions to where else to look? Sentimental value to this piece so please don't remind me of how dumb I was wearing a vintage watch in the ocean. I'd just like to have all of your expert advice and help.
    Thanks,
    H

2. abrod520 Apr 7, 2016

You might do well to buy a complete watch that's in bad condition, maybe an old Speedmaster Mark II since they're less valuable than the Moonwatch. Keep in mind that doing a movement transplant would drop the value of the watch, which might be a concern at some point despite its sentimental value! Also, be sure to get the watch serviced by a watchmaker before putting in another movement - rust can affect much more than that.

What year was your father's Speedmaster?

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. repoman Apr 7, 2016

Lets all hope its not 1957 :D

Nitzbar and red crowned like this.
  4. abrod520 Apr 7, 2016

Haha I think that would cause such heartbreak in this forum enough to kill us all! But he says he's looking for an 861 movement, so I think we're OK ;)

red crowned and bazamu like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 7, 2016

You want to send it to Al, he has done wonders with watch just like this. Hopefully you have drained out the watch

red crowned likes this.
  6. sky21 Apr 7, 2016

Good on him that he's trying to fix his mistake at least.

red crowned likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 7, 2016

As said a few other models use the 861. Seamaster chrono,s can be found reasonable for poor condition dial and cases.

But we need

image.png

red crowned likes this.
  8. Collins11 Apr 8, 2016

Thanks for taking interest in my plight. As you can see rust has set in. When I discovered the watch had gotten wet. I went to the market and bought some rubbing alcohol, open the watch up and dunked it in there to hopefully displace the salt water. I then tried drying it with a hair drier. When I came back to NY. I lubed the watch specifically on where the rust had taken root in order to try to stop it. Anyway, its toast. Here's a photo. Rusty 861.jpg
    At worst, could I recoup any replacement cost by selling this movement for parts? I'm all ears.
    Thanks again.
    H

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 8, 2016

Have seen worse resurrected.

Put it in and cop it sweet, might not end up that much. Would be doing it now rather than waiting.

As said look at a donar movement if your watchmaker says you need one...

DLT222 likes this.
  10. Davidt Apr 8, 2016

I'd certainly get it looked at to see if the majority of the movement can be saved. It'd be a shame to ditch it if it's not completely necessary.

11. Collins11 Apr 8, 2016

That's good to hear. I took it to Dimitrie Vicovanu on 47th street. Masters of Time is his booth. He's the one who lubed it up and suggested finding another movement.

mozartman likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 8, 2016

Is he a authorised Omega watchmaker that can get perts freely?

13. Collins11 Apr 8, 2016

No

14. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Apr 8, 2016

Years ago I worked on mobile radios that were used in the Gulf of Mexico. The procedure when they hit the salt water was to immediately flush them out with clean water. Then leave them submerged until they got back to us. We would replace the speaker and some of the volume controls, but otherwise they would be ok once dried properly.

15. Collins11 Apr 8, 2016

I went to the Omega Dealer and they wanted to completely replace "as new" including the watch face which has a nice old patina. D you know of any other authorized Omega guys in NYC?

16. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Apr 8, 2016

You've probably read Mr. Vicovanu's remarkable story, covered by the NY Times, among others. He was sent by the brutal Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceaucescu to Switzerland to learn watch repair and never returned, managing to get his family out and eventually to the US. Good luck with your father's watch.

17. Collins11 Apr 8, 2016

Yes, He's a great guy. He's getting up in age and it breaks my heart knowing guys like him are becoming harder to find.