Forums Latest Members
  1. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 7, 2016

Hi all. I have a black SMPc on the Bond bracelet, but I want to put it on black rubber.

I like the look of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401059027784Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network but it says it is a Plant Ocean strap (I know it is after-market, and I am not looking for an Omega-branded fake). I think I would need the 20mm. I like the white stitching and want it to be able to work with a deployant. Would this fit my SMPc? Anyone know of alternatives that would look good with this watch (pref deployant-able)?

Secondly, I'd like to get a deployant for it too. Again, not looking to pay Omega-branded money at the moment as this is an experiment to see how it looks and if I like it, and if so I might upgrade later. I've seen these RHD clasps from http://www.mywatchmaker.net/deployantclasp.htm mentioned on here before and am wondering if it would work with the above strap. If so, I think I would need the 20mm as before.

Finally, because we all like pictures, here are some pictures. Thanks for your help.

My watch (my pic):
    watch.jpg

The strap (eBay ad pic):
    Strap.jpg

Deployant (mywatchmaker.net pic)
    deployant.jpg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 7, 2016

So to size a strap and deployant you need to look at the numbers. A 22mm 18mm strap will be 22 at the lugs and 18 at the deployant. The deployant will be stated as the size it takes. So in that case a 18mm deployant would fit.

Tiny Iota likes this.
  3. uvalaw2005 Apr 7, 2016

For an SMPc you need a 20mm strap. Curved-end straps designed for the Planet Ocean typically don't fit the SMPc because of differences in the lug design, though some have made it work with OEM rubber (http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ber-Strap-to-your-Seamaster-Professional-300M), but a straight end 20mm strap will fit the SMPc fine.

However, those straps are mimicking the Omega deployant style and thus need an Omega-style deployant clasp (like the one shown in that ebay listing if you scroll down a bit). You don't need to buy OEM if you don't want, but the RHD clasps won't work. The RHD clasps are designed to replace tang buckles on normal straps. You need something like this (in 18mm):

ry=480.jpg

Tiny Iota likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 7, 2016

Not be confusing, you can go with Omega style deployant which requires a strap made for it, or a generic deployant that will fit standard straps like the picture from the OP...

Tiny Iota likes this.
  5. uvalaw2005 Apr 7, 2016

Yes, absolutely. And if OP is not sure he wants to go deployant with his Omega, it might make sense to get the RHD and then a rubber strap with a tang buckle that can be swapped for the RHD, since he could use those on other watches without mixing styles.

Tiny Iota likes this.
  6. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 7, 2016

Ah, so for the RHD I can just get a normal strap and replace the buckle with the deployant? That's handy to know, thanks

7. uvalaw2005 Apr 7, 2016

Exactly. You'll just need to know the buckle width of the strap. Some 20mm straps are straight through to 20mm at the buckle, while many taper to 18mm (or even 16mm for a lot of dress straps). Whatever the width at the buckle, that's the size deployant you need.

Tiny Iota likes this.
  8. mikekilo725 Apr 7, 2016

You may also want to check out Strapped For Time. Had some luck with their clasps. Not high-end, but would be perfect for what you are thinking

9. yinzerniner Apr 7, 2016

See my posts here for more info:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/omega-rubber-strap-my-smpc-1089700-4.html#post26173490

As for the clasp and strap fitting question, the majority of deploy clasps are either the butterfly or fold over/into style since they're made to work with tang-style straps. Tang style straps are usually sized at 120/80, while Omega deploy style straps are 105/100. So if you get an Omega clasp it will not work very well with the majority of straps, and vice versa. The RHD clasp you referenced is a butterfly style that WILL NOT WORK with the Omega-style Ebay strap you linked to.

There are a few Omega-style clasps out there but they're usually harder to source. Frederique Constant, Hamilton and C.Ward all make similar clasps that work in the same manner, but I've yet to see them available outside of ordering directly from the manufacturer or an AD.
    Your best bet is to visit an AD or OB and try on the clasp with a strap to see if it's worth the investment. Myself, it's the most comfortable I've ever tried on, but for some it doesn't quite wear as well.

One thing to note is the clasp that @uvalaw2005 posted is not the one to use with the latest Omega deploy straps. The securing mechanism is friction instead of push, and the portion that holds the holed end of the straps is less comfortable and causes undue stress and premature wear.
    The OEM Omega and like-styled clasps are the best bet for avoiding the above issues. (Note: None of the pictures are mine)
    Omega:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Frederique Constant:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    C.Ward
    [​IMG]
    Hamilton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GregH and Tiny Iota like this.
  10. uvalaw2005 Apr 7, 2016

Yeah, my bad. Grabbed the first google image I saw, didn't notice it was the old style. Thanks for all the great info, you're an awesome resource.

11. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 7, 2016