Forums Latest Members
  1. christhomas Aug 20, 2015

Hi

Having studied this forum and others and understood the importance of condition in the collectability of watches I wonder what members views are on the condition and originality of this watch currently offered on Ebay - at what I believe is a ridiculous price I might add. Link is included below the photo.

Does the condition of the case justify a description of mint ?
    Do all parts of the assembly match or is it possible that it is a fake made up of parts from different watches ?
    Does the dial seem original or do the minute markers seem a little strange - and what about the text ?
    Could that be the original crown ?
    How does an inscription such as this detract from value ?

I've been looking at watches for weeks now with a view to starting a small collection but haven't quite gained the confidence to buy one online yet.

Thanks

Chris

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Ome...-Watch-1960-/221852010916?hash=item33a76909a4Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Pvt-Public Aug 20, 2015

Listing has ended. I can't believe the seller took the time to include 13 nearly identical photos.

3. christhomas Aug 20, 2015

Yes I agree, not the best choice of photos. But any views on the watch itself ?

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 20, 2015

Evevything on that watch is original including the crown.

The BS on back is not!!! And price is crazy.

5. christhomas Aug 20, 2015

And how would you rate its condition ? - as a newcomer I'm trying to get a feel for what dedicated collectors particularly look for when assessing condition. Ignoring the price would it be regarded as a particularly desirable watch ?

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 20, 2015

On the scale of 10, I would rate it 8.5 (with no personalization on back)

Willem023 likes this.
  7. Temiyasen Aug 20, 2015

Agree on condition scale but not on the price .
    Price is not only crazy but blind crazy.

8. christhomas Aug 20, 2015

Thanks for your replies. Let me reword my question a bit.

Is the condition of this watch good enough for it to be of interest to a serious collector and if so what price would you need to pay for it to feel that you had got a reasonably good deal ? I see that it has now been relisted with the price reduced by a third but still too high I think.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 20, 2015

Max price i would pay is usd 3000 with those back engraving, 3200 without.

10. christhomas Aug 21, 2015

Interesting - I thought it could be a little more than that - but I was just going by the maximum sold prices I have seen on Ebay which have been up to around £3000 for a mint 18K connie of a similar model.
    Anyone know if there is a price differential between US and UK ?

11. christhomas Aug 21, 2015

Does the colour of the gold on the bezel seem different to the case or is it just a trick of the lighting ?

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 21, 2015

Few decent Deluxe models sold below usd 4000 in the past 6 months. This is not even a Deluxe.

13. cristos71 Aug 21, 2015

I wouldn't even consider it because of the case back engravings and neither would most collectors.

As for the price, I don't know what the seller is thinking but it reminds me of another Ebay Constellation that has been doing the rounds on Ebay with a BIN of $5000 or so for about 5 years!! I don't have the link to hand but it is quite amusing to see, still the same listing with about 40 offers dating back to 2010 :confused:

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 21, 2015

Perhaps he's been "instructed" to reduce the size of his collection, and is unwilling to do more than go through the motions. ::stirthepot::

15. christhomas Aug 21, 2015

I can see that happening to me in the future If I don't stop spending hours on the web studying watches.

I don't think that's the case here though - it's a dealer of some kind. I did make him an offer which he refused but his conter offer showed that he is willing to sell way below that price Which is why I'm trying to get views on what a fair price would be

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 21, 2015

There is always a price differential between the US and UK. On everything.

Part of that is because sales tax of anywhere between 0% and 10% is never added to US prices, while in the UK, almost everything has a ~20% VAT surcharge built in.

Most eBay purchases are not subject to sales tax collection, unless buyer and seller reside in the same state. I don't know if fixed priced eBay buyers in the UK are afforded the same courtesy under the law there.

Personally, unless you are related to the particular Royal referred to in the engraving, I don't see why you would pay a premium price.

It is not a particularly rare example.
    gatorcpa

Edited Aug 23, 2015
  17. christhomas Aug 23, 2015

Thanks for all the comments here. I guess I just need to be patient and another 18K piepan in excellent condition will come up in time