Forums Latest Members

Rough "Boy Size" Cal 471 Case ref 2828 Seamaster question

1. Brad Cancian Aug 19, 2012

Hi all,

This one was a cheap online pick up for me that I took a bit of a punt on. It's a Cal 471, case ref 2828 gold cap Seamaster with waffle dial. Serial number dates it to around 1957. The case is a bit rough, it doesn't have an Omega crown (no biggie here), and I think the hands were replaced at some point as they are a slightly different colour gold to the rest of the watch, though they do show some age. Although it looks like some moisture got into the cap at some point, it looks like the o-ring did its job as the mechanism is relatively clean (though the scratches bother me) and it seems to be working nicely and keeping good time so far. The case back is marked "Seamaster" and "waterproof". What caught me a little off guard when I received it was that the case is small - around 32mm diameter, which from my quick google search reveals the watch as a "Boy Size" watch (which I assume is somewhere between a men's and ladies size watch).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All this checks out on the Omega website, but I am just not so sure in regards to the font on "Seamaster" - it seems to have an elongated "r", and the first "e" seems to have been a little "lost". I am not sure though if this is the result of it being printed on the waffle dial though? I have seen a few variations that support this font but just want to make sure.

What are your thoughts on this one? I didn't pay very much for this one so wouldn't be too fussed if it was a put-together as it still kinda looks cool, and it's a waffle dial which I like :) If it's a good one, it's probably worth me servicing it (I am sure that the service though will cost at least double what the watch cost me...)

Side question - how rare are these "boy size" watches....?

Thanks!

BC

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 20, 2012

Yep, it's a redial....looks like the refinisher slipped when he was doing the R :)

The watch has been worn well and not coddled, which is another way of saying that it's had a lot of experiences on the wrist, fairly rounded edges on the lugs and the bezel is well worn. But a nice honest watch other than the redial.

Boy size watches? Hmm at the time I think they were man size - case should be around 34mm. Good thing that the cycle is again trending towards smaller watches.

Cheers

Desmond

3. Brad Cancian Aug 20, 2012

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Desmond! :) For the price I paid I am not too fussed given that the internals and case are still good... and considering it is technically still a Seamaster...:D - provided it keeps time well, then this is probably one I can wear without too much fear of banging it on something (I have found myself protecting my wrist allot of late!).

It's definitely a smaller size when I sit it next to some of my other Seamasters...

[​IMG]

Thanks again!

BC

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

Here is my original 2828.
    2828b.jpg

jimmyjay, kyle L and alam like this.
  5. alam Aug 20, 2012

Nice - those are some thick-looking lugs. 32mm in size?

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

Yes

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 20, 2012

I really like the railway track dial on the Seamaster on the left. 32mm - indeed it looks smaller against the others.

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

I still remember missing out on that one! :p

You can pick up a Rouge cloth and give the case a light polish, and also use a little polywatch on the crystal. It would clean up nicely!

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

What you want is called a "Blitz" cloth. They're on eBay for about $5 apiece. They are blue with a while finer polish cloth inside.

On the dial, there were some versions of "Seamaster" with a dipping "r" like that one. I'm not so quick to write it off without seeing it in person.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Edit - While looking at some other new threads on this forum, someone mentioned this eBay listing. Looks like your watch in a non-guilloche steel version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ome...ristwatches&hash=item337b288996#ht_525wt_1177Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Note the dipping "r" in Seamaster. With vintage Omegas, the only rule is that there are no rules.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

Here is another one that I owned briefly. It has the exact same dial as the one I just posted.

bbbbmCshOg!~~_3.jpg

stefpix likes this.