Forums Latest Members

Rotor spins wildly while hand winding

1. Ashton Mar 8, 2018

My omega 2531.80 has recently come home from a service ( by omega). Everything works perfectly, and it is scary accurate. However something very strange happens when I wind the crown. It’s spins like a freaking helicopter blade! This didn’t happen before I serviced it so I’m kind of worried. Has anyone else come across this phenomenon?

image.jpg
  2. Canuck Mar 8, 2018

Problem is likely with the reverser. If it was Omega that serviced it, do what you have to do to have the problem attended to. I am somewhat baffled as to how an Omega service center could have missed that.

Foo2rama and noelekal like this.
  3. drhex Mar 9, 2018

Yes, reversing wheels, send it back. Had that with my DsotM, took two visits to rectify.

4. Ashton Mar 9, 2018

Is it something that should be addressed quickly or is it simply an annoyance?

5. Canuck Mar 9, 2018

Both! An annoyance, and could be addressed quickly. But the return trip, plus waiting for its turn on the bench could involve some time. Solving the problem could be to lubricate the reverser, or replace it.

noelekal likes this.
  6. Ashton Mar 9, 2018

If it isn’t a risk in damaging it I want to wait since I just recently got it back. I’m frustrated that I paid all this money and wait all this time and it still isn’t fixed....

7. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2018

And then you forget about it and you end up out of a reasonable return period or the warranty on the service. Send it back soon.

For what it’s worth, some ETA calibers have this same issue but it’s inherent in the design; like the 2824.

noelekal likes this.
  8. Reddy_Kilowatt Mar 9, 2018

Since it arrived with the issue, they should be willing to expedite the fix. If you wait, you lose leverage to claim it's urgent.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Canuck Mar 9, 2018

Did you send it to Omega direct, send it through an AD, or through an OB? I think it would be prudent to phone the customer service line at Omega and outline the problem. Be firm, but be cordial. Engage them in helping to find a solution. Do it now!

Foo2rama and Reddy_Kilowatt like this.
  10. Ashton Mar 9, 2018

I did it through an AD

11. tritto Mar 9, 2018

My old Tudor Sub had/has much the same issue and I learnt that it's a regular flaw in the old ETA 245x family on which the Tudor 2484 is based.
    When I got the watch it was doing exactly wat you described. I had it serviced by a small independent locally (also had a broken balance staff) and he 90% sorted out the problem but I still find if I haven't worn it for a while and I hand wind it can take a few full turns before things free up and the rotor stops turning. It was away so long and had to go back several times and eventually I just decided to live with it. Not a reasonable proposition in your case though.

12. Canuck Mar 10, 2018

Do you have documentation that proves the AD sent it to Omega on your behalf?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 10, 2018

Note that the parts involved in manually winding the watch are not designed to take the load of spinning the rotor. If you wind the watch by hand a lot, I would not delay in getting it fixed - you are only going to cause more problems by hand winding it. Note that this fault doesn't affect the ability of the watch to wind via the rotor.

Cheers, Al