Forums Latest Members
  1. TexOmega Nov 1, 2014

What were the years(beginning to end) for the importation into the US of Omega movements to be cased by Ross Case co?

Where was Ross located?

Were the only cases used by Ross for Omega solid gold?

This one encases a non-Seamaster cal 354 Automatic circa 1954. 14kt gold Ross case USA (Copy).JPG Inside case back (Copy).JPG

2. ulackfocus Nov 1, 2014

Ross made cases for several Swiss companies including Longines. This whole system of importing dials/hands/movements to be installed into US made cases started in the 40's to avoid the large taxes on precious metals. There were even taxes on movements that had more than 17 jewels and were adjusted to any amount of positions. This ended in the 70's I think. Ross was located in Long Island, NY - as many case making companies were in NY.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 2, 2014

This was going on long before the 1940's. In the late 1800's people went to a jeweler or catalog and ordered Swiss movements, then chose the case they wanted. Some were Swiss, some were American.

US based watch companies like Bulova and Gruen always specialized in mating Swiss movements to US cases. You are correct that this was done mostly to avoid customs. The watch cases were done more to American tastes as well. More 14K and plated/filled cases which were banned in some European countries.

Only thing that changed after WWII, is that the Swiss movement companies (like Omega, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Longines, etc.) started getting into the act.

Hope this helps
    gatorcpa

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2014

Also understand that the timing for the using of various US case makers was not exclusive. That is, there were periods when both US cased Omegas and Swiss cased Omegas were both available to US customers simultaneously.

5. iweiner Nov 18, 2017

I would like to ask about an omega watch with ross 'll 6066 case and 560 week? Is it good or something wrong with it? Thank you very much

6. Canuck Nov 18, 2017

You might get a better response if you were to open your own thread on the watch, rather than piggy backing onto this one. And perhaps you might better explain what it is that you want to know, and maybe include pictures.

7. iweiner Nov 19, 2017

Sorry. I did not understand how does it work. When I go to a certain topic I cannot post a new post since the "new" is not active. Of course I made a mistake because I thought that it is not difficult. Sorry. I am new. I try my best next time. RoosLL 6066 case can be with a seamaster deville automatic 560 werk? Best