Forums Latest Members
  1. RancheroMaster Sep 19, 2016

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I've been lurking the Omega Forums for a while but only now decided it's time to sign up.

I now find myself in possession of this rose gold plated Omega 600. I traded a Cyma Navystar to acquire it, figuring it was worth the trade because the Omega name is better known and the original hesalite crystal and Omega Crown are there.

The dial has a few spots, predominantly around the 2-4 o'clock markers. Should I try the diluted lemon juice technique or should I leave it as it is? I'm tempted to leave it. More critically, the gold plating has worn away in some spots around the lugs and winding crown. What are my options here? Is there steel underneath the gold layer, if I was to strip it back? Or am I best to have the entire case re-plated?

Thanks in advance, for your thoughts.
    [​IMG]

2. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 20, 2016

I would leave the dial how it is... too risky to try and clean it when could seriously damage the watch. Also, welcome to the forum!

3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 20, 2016

Enjoy the watch as is, if you want a better one sell this and upgrade. Cleaning the dial may end in disaster and replating a case is expensive. You would have to replate the entire case to make it match in color.

4. RancheroMaster Sep 21, 2016

Thanks for the responses, friends. If I polish off the gold completely, would I be left with a steel watch? or is it copper alloy underneath the gold?

5. François Pépin Sep 21, 2016

Probably brass but why would you do that?

6. RancheroMaster Sep 21, 2016

Because it would be cheaper than totally plating the entire case, and if it were steel underneath it would likely look better bare than gold with worn lugs. Although, after some research I'm lead to believe it's copper alloy underneath and as such I'll be leaving the gold as-is. The watch is running really well after its service, it loses a few seconds on the wrist and gains about the same amount in the watch box overnight. I'll be keeping this one a long while, for sure!

7. François Pépin Sep 21, 2016

Ok. (By the way, brass is a copper alloy.)

Replating the whole case after removing the old plating and polishing the underneath metal is the best solution. But you could also only replate the parts where the old plating has gone away with some galvano tool. I have done that on cheap watches - not Omega!

But I would leave your watch as it is.

8. RancheroMaster Sep 26, 2016

I'm fully aware of the fact brass is a copper alloy. So is bronze, and as the two are rather difficult to distinguish (and both used in watchmaking) it is correct to refer to it as copper alloy and as such I will continue to do so.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 26, 2016

Keep it as is, not economical to re-plate such a watch ( cost more than the watch)
    As said above I would trade up to a solid metal / gold watch.

Would loose the bracelet as it will do more damage to the lugs.