Forums Latest Members
  1. vincereynard Nov 26, 2015

This was for sale a few weeks ago and got no attention. So I followed it up to go direct.

As a very early, bumper, arrow head,it appeals.

The case back looks remarkably well preserved - to me. The medallion, bevels and tool marks being virtually mint.
    The front is a bit more battered.

However, as can be seen, many of the minute markers are missing. Is this a problem on gold dials? Were they printed? Can they be replaced without ruining the originality of the dial.

It has not got "swiss made" at 6?? I would like the rotor moved to display the calibre and regulator.

Thanks for your trouble.

$_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (4).JPG

Edited Nov 26, 2015
    Chye likes this.
  2. M'Bob Nov 26, 2015

Seamaster crown, I believe.

3. nightowl Nov 26, 2015

Is one of the hands touching the dial? In any case - beautiful watch! Who cares what minute it is?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2015

I think the dial was subjected to a very harsh cleaning that removed the original lacquer and some of the printing. It looks original otherwise.

It is not possible to restore just the missing parts, only remedy would be to refinish the dial. This would hurt the collector value. You could take it to a watchmaker who knows about dials and if the top lacquer is still missing, that can be restored to protect the remaining printing.

It's still a nice watch in pretty good condition aside from the dial. I would recommend leaving it alone.

gatorcpa

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 26, 2015

+1, you can see some darker spots on the dial so it looks like it was cleaned. It might be possible to restore the minute markers but I have never seen a good job done with that.

6. vincereynard Nov 26, 2015

Thanks for the replies chaps (I assume!)

It also depends on the price of course and I think the vendor is sticking on that! You must admit a pretty tasty case back!

What is the difference between a Constellation with a solid gold dial and a De Luxe which is a constellation with a solid gold dial?

Vince

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2015

8. vincereynard Nov 26, 2015

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 26, 2015

10. Tinggle Dec 10, 2015

What a beauty!!!!!