Forums Latest Members
  1. Lucasssssss Nov 10, 2017

Hey everyone, just wanted to share this watch which I brought from eBay.

A little back story, the evening before I purchased this, I missed out on a full set C shape Connie, Box, Papers, Receipt, Bracelet. Lost at the last second to a bid for £559. I would have bid more but I am a student and havn't sold off my previous eBay catch. This was the auction https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-CO...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

So feeling disappointed, and thinking that the fees for a Masters would have been better spent on a watch (or a few), I looked at what was coming up next on the flebay. This was the image I was confronted with Omega Fab Suisse.jpg
    Much to be desired on the photography. Clearly the dial isn't great and the crown is certainly not original. However, it did look like there was a 'fab suisse' on the dial. Feeling like I should have won the Connie, I put in a rash bid of £250. And won.

Looking back at the pictures, thinking if the dial is due to water ingress, because the crown is badly fitted I could be in trouble here if the movement was shot. The seller refused to give me any more pictures. So I paid, waited and hoped.

And it arrived today. PB100023.JPG

Okay I thought, This isn't too bad! And then saw our friend the Golden Eagle on the case
    PB100027.JPG

Who actually reminds me a little of sam-the-eagle-the-muppets-72.jpg

But anyway, for those who don't know this means (I think) it is 9 Carrat gold. On the subject of gold, this dosen't look like any normal gold... Contrastinggold.JPG

Perhaps not the best picture to show it, but it is definitely of the Rose variety. (bonus points for guessing the other watch in the picture).

So, already quite pleased with this purchase, I am brought suddenly down to earth by realising the 'automatic' on the dial. I assumed that I would be feeling a bump from the automatic movement, but nothing. Probably all rusted over by the water, which you can see on the dial.

And I go to open the case PB100028.JPG

Someone has been here before...

I crack it open

PB100020.JPG
    PB100019.JPG

Okay, not brilliant, but not as bad as it could have been. But why isnt the rotor moving? I give it a nudge with my finger in trepidation...
    Screw.JPG
    A screw falls out. I grab it and put it in a bag. Well, thats not good. But honestly, the movement is much better than I was expecting. Looking at the caseback

PB100021.JPG again, our Eagle friend is here also.

And finally looking at the dial again. PB100030.JPG PB100032.JPG PB100036.JPG PB100037.JPG

So, I am certainly not an expert on these. Could anyone run their eye over the photos and tell me if there is anything I have missed? I believe it all to be original, except the Crown and Crystal (please correct me if I am wrong).

I shall be sending this one off for a service. New crystal and crown. Now...where to find a rose gold crown?

Also any history on this is greatly appreciated! Also, I have no idea on value of these, but I suppose I havn't overpaid significantly for this?

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread! To quote Mr Stephenson 'There’s gold in them thar hills'

PB100022.JPG PB100024.JPG PB100028.JPG PB100029.JPG PB100031.JPG
  2. Canuck Nov 10, 2017

I see evidence of only two watchmaker’s repair number inside the case back. This watch had obviously been good for someone, to have been worn and worn until it reached the state it is in in the pictures, with next to no maintenance. The dial will likely only deteriorate further if there is an attempt to clean it. So the options are to wear it the way it is, try to locate a donor dial, or have the dial re-finished. The movement appears to have great potential from what can be seen. I think it has the potential to be turned into a very nice watch.

3. mac_omega Nov 10, 2017

actually it is 18K gold!

4. ChrisN Nov 10, 2017

That looks like a dial screw. Oddly, I have just finished a bumper for another member which arrived with a blocked train so wouldn't run. It was a dial screw just like yours but had worked into the train. You're lucky there. As it only has one dial screw, don't use it as the dial may be recoverable although as @Canuck says it is probably too far gone. Note the emphasis there is on "may":D. I'm not sure but the scratch lines seem to be on the crystal?

I don't see anything obviously wrong with the movement except for a worn rotor axle and as @Canuck says, it could make a nice watch. Heck, for a sixty five year old watch, that movement looks good.:D Looks a great find.

Edit - I meant to say that these bumpers will loosen screws with ease so, loose screws on these are not unusual.

Cheers, Chris

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 10, 2017

Yup. Non bordered eagle is a French 18k hallmark.

6. lillatroll Nov 10, 2017

I am guessing the other watch is a seamaster 176.007. Gold plated. (20 microns)

7. Lucasssssss Nov 10, 2017

Thanks, that is really helpful!

You are Correct!

Thank you both. I guess we will see if the dial is saveable (I hope so, as one with Rose Gold Dial furniture and Fab Suisse will be hard to come by). Will probably just be wearing it as is, but I will ask my watchmaker about if it can be cleaned. I believe almost all of the scratches are on the crystal. I hope it will come up well, I was also surprised about how good the movement condition was!

Thank you all very much for your help!! I will be sure to post a picture after it has come back from the spa.

Lucas.

8. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Nov 10, 2017

9. dan7800 Nov 10, 2017

Great story. Very interesting read and find.

10. fjf Nov 10, 2017

That dial has patina, but I bet it will look a lot better with a new plexyglass. I wouldnt touch it!.

11. dall-houston Nov 10, 2017

Great find!

12. Dave.charlton Nov 10, 2017

Leave the dial, it will look great!

marco likes this.
  13. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Nov 11, 2017

Seeing as you've already have the back off, why not pop the module out and show us the dial sans plexi. It does indeed appear the worst of it is scratches and cracks to the plexi crystal.

14. Lucasssssss Nov 11, 2017

Thanks for the input everyone. I will leave the dial as it is I think. I have packaged it up and sent it for a service today, I don't think the dial is too bad to be honest, and I would rather leave it than refinish it. Will post back once it has had a good service and new crystal and crown etc.

15. François Pépin Nov 12, 2017

I do not think you overpaid at all! As others said, this could be a nice wearable watch when properly serviced. End these French gold cases are usually of very good quality. The case alone could be worth 250£ - considering the value of the gold content.

16. Moadib Nov 12, 2017

Frankly think the dial looks good, but would have been interesting to see without the glass and scratches. Will be watching this with interest to see how it comes up - nice to see some older pieces getting some needed love.

17. Lucasssssss Nov 28, 2017

Just an update on this. It arrived back today, the movement looks great. I left the dial and I think it has a certain charm. I will throw it on a strap and try to take a better photo soon. PB280023.JPG PB280028.JPG

18. fjf Nov 28, 2017

That's a real tropical dial!! :thumbsup:

Lucasssssss likes this.
  19. BenBagbag Nov 28, 2017

That's a great result. The hands and hardware are in very very good condition IMO. Was it just a simple service to get it up and running or was there more involved?

20. Lucasssssss Nov 28, 2017

It was just a new mainspring, crystal and crown. I am really pleased with the outcome.