Forums Latest Members

rolex vintage watch database

1. Max Jun 19, 2012

I just wonder, did rolex official web site have something like "Rolex vintage watch database".
    That anyone could check the data of a vintage rolex according to the number.

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

Nope, I think Rolex is more geared towards modern watches than the vintage stuff. You can check out vintagerolexforum.com which has lots of vintage info though.

3. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2012

Rolex won't even service one of their watches after a certain age. They also automatically replace dials, hands, bezels and other cosmetic parts unless specifically told not to.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 20, 2012

My understanding is that once a movement is 30+ years out of production, Rolex USA won't service it anymore. I've heard that Rolex service centers in other countries will repair some of the very old calibers if they have the parts. It's been rumored that Rolex Cuba is sitting on a treasure trove of 1950's parts, just waiting for the embargo between the USA and Cuba to be lifted. But that's just a rumor.

Not only that, Rolex will sometimes refuse to service watches unless you agree to all the replacement parts. And of course, they refuse to return any original parts replaced.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2012

The Cuba thing I can confirm, one of my mother's friends is an extremely talented (although completely unqualified) Cuban refugee watchmaker in his late 50s now making designer glasses here in Australia, and he couldn't believe the servicing on my 1680 Submariner cost more than $100 even with extensive part replacement.

6. Dash1 Jul 3, 2012

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

That's from The Miami Herald, first published back in 2005. I posted that article all over the boards when it first came out. That website is a condensation of news articles about Cuba and Cubans directed at the exile community in the USA.

I used to use one of the relojeros mentioned in the article until he became to ill to take on more work. He truly was a master.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

8. Dash1 Sep 10, 2012

Is it not even possible to obtain an 'extract of the archives' from Rolex?

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 10, 2012

No. They do not speak to mere mortals.

My impression is that Rolex has little respect for their vintage collectors. They'll do "restorations" their way, how they like it, and couldn't care less what the customer wants.

Why do the operate this way?

Because they can,
    gatorcpa

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 10, 2012

And they'll only do it to a certain age, then you're on your own regardless. Can you imagine Patek saying "sorry sir this watch was made before 1970..."

11. MKelley Sep 23, 2012