Forums Latest Members

Rolex Submariner 5512 Square Guard

1. erpin9 Apr 2, 2017

I have been offered a very rare 1959 Rolex Submariner 5512 with the square crown guard complete with its original box and papers. Asking price is much more than the one auctioned by Christies in 2013 which went for $207K.

[​IMG]

pitpro likes this.
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 2, 2017

Holly shit!

Of course you need movement and more detailed pictures ( in colour) but that does look like an amazing watch. Way, way above what I can dream on spending but on that picture it seems to check a lot of the boxes.

3. erpin9 Apr 2, 2017

If I consider buying this watch as an investment, is it a wise option? Of course, there is always that risk of the vintage watch market going soft.

4. erpin9 Apr 2, 2017

If I consider buying this watch as an investment, is it a wise option? Of course, there is always that risk of the vintage watch market going soft.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 2, 2017

I wouldn't, there's only so much it can appreciate and it's pretty high already. It's not like you're buying it for 20g...Also what would be the time frame? 5 years? 10? 20? At some point it is no longer vintage and it becomes an antique.

I could be wrong though so maybe ask at the Rolex forum. It is a beauty though but I just don't get the price point for these.

Foo2rama, erpin9 and Davidt like this.
  6. Xeer Apr 2, 2017

0.1cent here.. probably not buy it as an investment piece. the potential upside is limited tbh.

emilio and erpin9 like this.
  7. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Apr 2, 2017

erpin9 likes this.
  8. Cad290 Apr 2, 2017

Agree, if you are looking for a good investment there are better options. If it's your dream watch and you can afford it then why not

erpin9 likes this.
  9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 2, 2017

While your watch guy sources you amazing pieces, I think that if it were me, I would deal with the people who buy/sell/trade this level of piece regularly.

A friend buys the highest level of vintage watches and only trades with those who are at the top of the game.

Just my thoughts...as this watch is out of my wheelhouse.

KstateSkier, MikiJ, pitpro and 2 others like this.
  10. bokbok Apr 2, 2017

Wow what a piece never even knew they did a square crown:thumbsup: gilt dial box and papers ouch!!

erpin9 likes this.
  11. Sculler22 Apr 2, 2017

I remember well when 250 GTOs were considered overpriced at $5mm, and 250 Testa Rossas at $3mm. Not really comparable due to numbers produced, but true rarity cannot be duplicated.

erpin9 likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 2, 2017

Yeah, the insert maybe.....The dial ses ok to me.

Problem is that even if right....And there is a lot of due diligence beyond a forum thread on one pic, it is already over the Christie's in price and that is without veting.

I would require thorough vetting in person by truly high experts.... Even if you have to pay for a couple of plane tickets.

Still, not an investment piece

Linesiders and erpin9 like this.
  13. erpin9 Apr 2, 2017

You may have a point but if you ask investment consultants, they will tell you that vintage watches appreciate at a much slower rate than paintings or cars. Then again, it entirely depends on the scarcity, historical significance and provenance of a particular watch.

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 2, 2017

If a watch is being offered for more than a Christies price achieved in the previous 12 months, it has to be an awful lot better than the Chrisities watch to justify a premium price over what Christies, arguably the most aggressive auction house in the world, gets.

When we are tempted to buy for an investment, we sometimes loose sight of the ultimate consumer - in other words, if I buy a watch thinking, its ok, ill sell it to someone else, then the chances are I will get stuck with it. Because I am buying it because I think someone else will like it, not me.

If I buy a watch that really talks to me, makes me want it, so that the thought of waking up without buying it leaves a regret, then the chances are someone else will too. The price is irrelevant.

However the price is not irrelevant here. $200k+ Buys a lot of stuff. You got to be really floating in cash to think that this watch is a good place to put 200k.

As others said, where is the up side?

This might be a rare watch, but it is not fine, and far from proven.

15. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 2, 2017

Go take a Xanax!

Rman, MikiJ and erpin9 like this.
  16. alam Apr 2, 2017

ah! the investment angle (again)....
    IMO, no.

erpin9 likes this.
  17. erpin9 Apr 2, 2017

Well said Spacefruit and thanks to everyone for the solid advices. Sometimes when the emotion takes over, you end up regretting what you have done after the initial high.

Spacefruit likes this.
  18. Sculler22 Apr 2, 2017

erpin9, all very valid points regarding paintings, cars, and vintage watches. Collectible top of the market cars have been a leading asset class for a number of years, though there have been a few downdrafts. Art is currently experiencing some real volatility, with the major auction houses not too happy with sales results in aggregate. Watches, with a few exceptions, have trailed other asset classes in annualized gains, perhaps due to the relative low barrier to entry compared to the other two. However, truly unique watches, correct on all counts, seem to defy gravity, at least until now. Whether this 5512 fits in that rarified group is way beyond my knowledge (and, pay grade!).

bazamu and erpin9 like this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 2, 2017

Not as an investment. The upper high end is affected by how many buyers in the room that want the same item, as well as the global economy. Plus IMHO there are signs of market manipulation on upper high end pieces like this. Looking at Patek as a company and at the lower values im pretty sure the Nina's have been manipulated...

If the economy tanks so does the value on this watch. Stuff like this is super volatile with few buyers making a bad combo IMHO.

WatchVaultNYC, erpin9 and Nobel Prize like this.
  20. omitohud Apr 2, 2017

IMO if u want to spend that kind of money on a watch, u should talk to the expert collectors n sellers. I'm sure they can get u a better example at a better price.