Forums Latest Members

Rolex sub. Finally got off the waitlist. But now I already have one?

1. radoncdoc Mar 9, 2020

I've been trying to buy a new date SS-sub for years. I finally got one about 3 months ago from a contact who worked at an AD who had an "in" with Rolex.

It's great.

BUT... I was just contacted by the local store where I had been on a waitlist.

They have one for me.

If I buy this, how much can I flip it for? Is this worth doing? Anybody looking for one?

Thrasher36 likes this.
  2. Dan S Mar 9, 2020

::facepalm2::

DaveK, RIGG, Nla91 and 12 others like this.
  3. TDBK Mar 9, 2020

Regardless of the appropriateness of flipping, etc.:

Purely from a financial standpoint: I would strongly suggest against amateur flipping with the markets in their current status. I just decided to defer purchase of a new watch, not because I won't be able to afford it in a couple of months, but because I think it's going to be cheaper then.

If you're thinking of buying at retail and then finding a buyer, seems pretty risky this week.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. Hduck Mar 9, 2020

Why flip it? There is some soul behind you that has had to wait too!

Mad Dog, Nobel Prize, DaveK and 9 others like this.
  5. OmeGez Mar 9, 2020

Such a risk for buying to flip currently. Just refuse it and let the next guy in line have it.

Nobel Prize, Thrasher36, 89-0 and 4 others like this.
  6. Dan S Mar 9, 2020

"Dear OF members, should I gouge another collector to make a few bucks for myself?"

Do it, or don't do it. But don't start a thread asking us to give you permission.

Mad Dog, WatchCor, Donfiore and 26 others like this.
  7. KstateSkier Mar 9, 2020

and you're whats wrong with the watch industry... Congrats.

8. OmeGez Mar 9, 2020

It’s disheartening to see these current state of affairs - can’t just let someone else have a watch they’ve been waiting for at MSRP..

9. radoncdoc Mar 9, 2020

Oh calm down guys. I literally asked if anyone here wanted it (for MSRP).
    Most likely I will respond and tell her to sell it to the next guy.
    But out of sheer curiosity, what is the profit margin on a re-sale?

10. radoncdoc Mar 9, 2020

I didn't ask for your permission. I asked what the potential profit would be. Jesus Christ.

Motik likes this.
  11. radoncdoc Mar 9, 2020

Thanks for a real answer. I didn't think about the fact that this just so happened to show up at the time the markets and the world are all going to hell. I guess that's not a coincidence.

12. Dan S Mar 9, 2020

Just going to put these quotes here so you can't revise them later. It's quite clear you weren't offering to pass it on to someone else at retail. And asking us to facilitate your profit-taking is worse than asking for permission. I guess you're not getting the message.

13. radoncdoc Mar 9, 2020

Wow. Get over yourself, dude.

Since some people here were helpful to me before, I absolutely was seeing if anyone here wanted dibs on it. But you know what I was clearly trying to do better than I do apparently. My wording wasn't clear, sure. But that's sincerely not what I meant.
    You think I would honestly come to these forums where we have had the discussion before and try to pawn it on you guys when you all can easily just buy from a gray market dealer and do the same thing?

Forget it. I will tell her to pass it along to the next buyer. Sorry if anyone here actually wanted it. Mods can close this thread.

Motik likes this.
  14. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 9, 2020

15. KstateSkier Mar 9, 2020

"Flip" is usually not a word people associate with "MSRP" so just stop.

16. MTROIS Mar 9, 2020

::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::
    Quite different from: "hey guys, I have an opportunity to acquire a new SUB date from AD. PM me if you are interested in acquiring it at MSRP as I already got one. Otherwise, I will pass my turn to the next guy on the list!"

Communication is important. And so are words!

:whipped:

Nobel Prize, Alphasports, Eve and 4 others like this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 9, 2020

The flipper aka resale price has been dropping on these as production seems to be ramping back up.

so being able to make your money back when you do not have an established presence as a watch seller would mean you actually might not make your money back. If you want proof I can give you the name of a shop that buys new in box Rolex and sells them.

watch3s and wristpirate like this.
  18. kiwi_kal Mar 9, 2020

If you're buying at MSRP + tax and going to re-sell as a private seller with no history, it's probably not worth the hassle (or the negative karma points). Easier ways to make a quick buck than to go through all that hassle IMHO.

connieseamaster likes this.
  19. radoncdoc Mar 9, 2020

I inquired about the profit margins on flipping. Then asked if anyone here wanted it. I assumed that was clear I was offering first dibs before I tried to flip it, but obviously not. You can call me a liar, fine, but that was honestly not my intention. Why would I come to a forum where we have had frequent discussion about how we only want to buy from ADs and think that I could get one of you guys to buy it at a gray market price?

Regardless, it sounds like there is no interest at MSRP right now anyway, and I told them to pass it along. So mission accomplished, one less marked up sub on ebay.

And at the end of the day, it's capitalism. Deal with it. Rolex is the bad guy here. Flipping wouldn't exist if were not for the policies Rolex implemented that created that secondary market, and you all know that.

20. gostang9 Mar 9, 2020

I suspect there will be quite a few people on wait lists that will start getting calls as the full economic impact of Coronavirus starts being felt around the world...

DaveK, gemini4, lindo and 2 others like this.