Forums Latest Members

Rolex Steel and White gold bezel Sky Dweller Thoughts??

1. bokbok Mar 26, 2017

Whats the general consensus on the New 2017 Basel Sky Dweller in steel and white gold Bezel with that stunning blue dial. A picture below courtesy of a blog to watch! I love the watch and ordered one Gmt function with annual calendar date Wow Bellissimo !!
    Theses have only ever been in precision metals white gold, rose gold, yellow gold till now also very expensive the steel ones £10600 :)
    Rolex-Sky-Dweller-Rolesor-aBlogtoWatch-102.jpg

McJamesT, rominvicta, sensui and 6 others like this.
  2. M.C.B1974 Mar 26, 2017

Congrats on a great purchase!:thumbsup:
    I've liked the designed since it was first introduced but being only sold in precious metals I wouldn't consider owning one. Now being sold in Stainless, the option of adding one to my collect later on is a good possibility.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Riviera Paradise Mar 26, 2017

Congrats on the new purchase!

I have to say that the SS model with the blue dial looks very good and you get an annual calendar + GMT and Rolex reliability for a competitive price (assuming you can purchase these on retail and that they won't follow a similar waiting list price hike similar to last year's Daytona).

I did not like the previous design with the Arabic numerals at all + the GMT ring being in a different color. The 2017 design looks much more coherent and elegant now.

Only issue for me is still the cyclops on what is a more dressy watch. I can sort of tolerate the cyclops on the sports range, but I really think Rolex should have adopted by now an internal lens for their higher end dressy pieces.

Bushido likes this.
  4. bokbok Mar 26, 2017

Not got it yet unfortunately I wish[emoji23] they only launch at Basel other day. I am on the purchase list thou at local AD. And looking forward to the watch.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 26, 2017

I've always loved this movement. The precious metals turned me off. But this one was a surprise.

Re: Cyclopes. It's part of Rolex design language like kidney grills, quad headlights and the hoffmeister kink on BMWs. If your going to get a Rolex why not let everyone know from a distance embrace rolexness. Enjoy the tasteful baller watch.

Linzer and Riviera Paradise like this.
  6. Riviera Paradise Mar 26, 2017

Agreed. I am just saying that an internal lens could be a nice design optimization for their Daydate and Skydweller range, but on second thoughts I think it would indeed generate too much confusion in terms of the overall consistency of their design language across the product range.

BTW just to be clear, the cyclops would probably not stop me buying this new Skydweller if it looked good live on the wrist...I think the stunning blue dial and value proposition would probably increase my cyclops tolerance factor;)...similar to my BLNR purchase last year.

Longbow, Linzer and Foo2rama like this.
  7. M.C.B1974 Mar 26, 2017

Being on the list will build excitement and you definitely have something great to look forward to. I hope you receive it very soon and you share with us.

8. bokbok Mar 26, 2017

Definitely look forward to the watch and will share it if get the call first [emoji1] as these days a lot dealers give the watches to who spends the most money not 1st come 1st serve. That's what happened with the ceramic Daytona.[emoji23]

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 26, 2017

No offense and I love my Rolexes but.....::puke::.. Too busy and odd for my taste. Also white gold and SS ? Why bother?

10. jcs2000 Mar 26, 2017

It is a great watch. Features command bezel with a GMT and an annual calendar.
    Have the white gold bracket version with the black face Arabic numerals--very sporty and modern.

The version u ordered with the blue face is the best SS combo aesthetically--it really compliments the red subindicator dials well.
    I like numerals more than sticks but for the price delta that is very minor trade off for most.
    Enjoy it--has generated much buzz at a far more accessible price point which is really a sign of the times.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  11. bokbok Mar 27, 2017

Why not white and steel ?? Or £38k for a solid white gold Sky dweller. The steel model is buyable for the average guy[emoji1]

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 27, 2017

I don't like it. A little too over stated for my taste

13. Traveler Mar 27, 2017

The only white gold on that one is the fluted bezel - that's also a Rolex staple for Datejusts, so makes total sense to me.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 27, 2017

Well that's a start. Now if they would only bring back the Pepsi GMT in SS we'd have something! Hope springs eternal.

15. Linzer Mar 27, 2017

The Sky Dweller has never got my attention. I couldn't agree more with Riviera Paradise on the dial. I didn't like the Arabic nor the Roman numerals. The dial looked far too busy to my taste and the price was also too high for me in precious metals. However, I'm starting to like the SS model with the touch of white gold. I like the movement and the function of the bezel very much. The blue dial looks great in my opinion. Cyclops doesn't bother me, it has always been there. (Different story with the Sea Dweller though.) At 42mm it could work perfectly for me although I have not tried it on yet. Next time I'm near a Rolex boutique I may give it a try.

sensui and Foo2rama like this.
  16. jfmiii Mar 27, 2017

not a fan of the SkyD but this release gives me hope that Rolex will someday (soon) release a SS PepsiC. common opinion was Rolex wouldnt do it bc it would p1ss off PM Pepsi buyers. "Rolex will never release a SS Pepsi again." well that theory is out the window with the SS SkyD, imo.

pitpro likes this.
  17. FlyingTiger Mar 27, 2017

I might recommend to go to the store first and give it a try. Even with 42mm, it's a huge one !

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Alexander

Linzer likes this.
  18. R3D9 Mar 27, 2017

I've always felt like the dial is off balance and cluttered. I get why people love it from a movement standpoint, but the aesthetics just don't do it for me.

As a side note, I feel bad for anyone who bought this watch two years ago in white gold for $50K (or whatever they were charging). I'd be seriously pissed to see a bunch of people walking around with a watch that looks almost identical but cost 1/4th the price.

19. ac106 Mar 29, 2017

Do you really think you'll ever see a "bunch of people" walking around with this watch?

Unless you run with a bunch of Russian oligarchs you'll never see one in the metal in your whole life.

20. R3D9 Mar 29, 2017

At the Rolesor price point, yes, I do think that a lot people in major metropolitan centres will be buying this watch.

I'm not sure where you live, but in downtown Toronto it feels like every second person is wearing a Daytona or Nautilus.

I'm pretty sure you don't need Russian Oligarch money to be able to afford a $17k watch.

If you were referring to the relatively few people rocking the old $50k watch, yes, there aren't many of them, and that's my point. They bought something that was incredibly exclusive and now some guy on Wall Street or Bay Street pulling down less than $200k a year can walk around with a watch that looks identical to theirs.