Forums Latest Members

Rolex Quietly Releases A New ‘Paul Newman’ Inspired Daytona

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 10, 2023

I know which one I like better

IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_7499.jpeg

Pun, Dsloan, Lou P and 9 others like this.
  2. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Jun 11, 2023

Yep, over designed comes to mind when looking at the modern Cosmo, although this new design seems to tone it down some. Still, it's lacks the cohesion and balanced design of the Speedmaster.

As far as the tool watch thing goes, it's hard to imagine any modern Rolex being taken to the beach, much less mowing the grass. The old subs and GMTs that were worn day in and day out, who's doing that today?

But it's not just Rolex. FOIS, Snoopys and new Ed Whites, who wears these? They're being held in boxes and resold later as unworn, which is what people want. Try selling a worn Apollo-soyuz meterorite for example. Everyone wants an unworn watch. We bemoan the loss of the tool watch when everyone wore their watch and used it every day but we only want to buy a pristine and unworn used watch.

I'm guilty of it too, turning my nose up at a used watch that has a couple surface swirls on it from normal wear. It's definitely kindof sad thinking about all the Rolexes that go to people who never wear them. (Hard to blame anyone when it's a 50k watch.) But at the same time, we're doing it to ourselves.

(50k for this watch?!! I just bought a Hamilton 992 pocket watch for $162 that probably keeps better time. Makes me pause to think.)

BLOW UP and Aroxx like this.
  3. Evitzee Jun 11, 2023

I wear my Ed White 321, my Trilogy Speedmaster, ST1 and ST2, and both 2020 Tokyo Speedmasters, I'm not saving them for some future sale. I also wear my one Daytona in rotation. It's all personal choice.

Edited Jun 11, 2023
    Pun, Joe_A, Caliber561 and 3 others like this.
  4. BLOW UP Jun 11, 2023

Agreed, exactly my point.. if you're celebrating or paying homage to the original tool watch, why not make it in the original metal? It's obviously no longer a tool watch

Edited Jun 11, 2023
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 11, 2023

Rolex is a company that has evolved from a company that makes watches that ARE tools, to a company that makes watches FOR tools...truth is, that is the lemming-sentiment (rare, investment, keep it stickered etc) and they haven't really evolved at all ... they still make great watches that are tools and should be worn to heck. My single Rolex in my collection is the ultimate testament to that ... I wear it without a single iota of worry...and it bears its scuffs and scratches beautifully...

I will quote my polyamoric friend to you on this matter : why choose when you can have them all :whistling:

BLOW UP, pdxleaf and Fish70 like this.
  6. Aroxx Sets his watch Jun 11, 2023

This makes sense. Didn’t want to get roasted but looking at the OG watch I really don’t like it.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Pastorbottle Jun 11, 2023

I’d like one with the word Rolex and the crown logo removed, that way no one will think I’m a prick……… what’s that? Everyone thinks I’m a prick anyway!……. Yeah you’re probably right, cancel my logo delete order.

8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 11, 2023

Tekashi_145.022 and BLOW UP like this.
  9. DrmexicoII Jun 11, 2023

Think Richard Mille might be releasing a Le Mans special now too seeing as Ferrari have just won Le Mans. Spectacular effort on their return at the first time of asking. Although does make you wonder why their F1 team struggles in comparison.

BLOW UP likes this.
  10. Evitzee Jun 11, 2023

About 10 years ago Richard Mille had an RM010 LMC LeMans Classic watch, available in rose gold or titanium.

rm_le_mans_03.jpg
    DrmexicoII likes this.
  11. bradurani Jun 11, 2023

My lord, I hate this. There are so many fantastic new watch designs created by innovative companies that actually take risks and make new things. Yet the buyers want the same tired sh*t rehashed and reissued over and over and over again. What an tasteless, opportunist PoS.

BLOW UP likes this.
  12. DrmexicoII Jun 11, 2023

Yeah, but what do you think of the bracelet? :D

BLOW UP and pdxleaf like this.
  13. Walrus Jun 11, 2023

Tbh I kinda like it. A girl I was dating saw Paul at a fancy grocery store in Westport. She was pretty cute but I warned her to let him be, he was notoriously unfriendly when approached. She didn’t heed my advice and as expected got yelled at by Paul. I thought it was funny her, not so much. That was before I knew much about watches (actually I still don’t) i might have sauntered by just to see if I could have caught a glimpse of his watch. I try to avoid getting scolded in public so I may have just let it go.

BLOW UP likes this.
  14. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Jun 11, 2023

I stood next to one of the Wiggles (kids show) in a grocery store checkout line. They were in town for a show. He scowled at him. Looked me right in the eye, daring me to say something. The Wiggles were Australian so who knows what he would have done. I'm a boomer so generally have some smartass comment ready, but kept my mouth shut that time. So if a Wiggle shut me down, Paul Newman would have crushed me. :D

marco, Walrus and BLOW UP like this.
  15. Evitzee Jun 11, 2023

Are you referring to Rolex or Omega?

Davidt likes this.
  16. Davidt Jun 11, 2023

Exactly. They each taking hints from one another’s playbook now.

17. bradurani Jun 11, 2023

The Rolex. They were the one brand that has been above all this vintage reissue, relive the 60s nostalgia. And it's just ugly. I guess they decided they needed to have a Nautilus Tiffany moment of their own to keep people interested.

Davidt likes this.
  18. Evitzee Jun 12, 2023

I don't think Rolex needed a 'Nautilus Tiffany' moment to keep people interested. Rolex could stop all advertising and promotion and still not be able to satisfy worldwide demand. Not sure why you are so wound up on bashing Rolex.

19. YY77 Jun 12, 2023

Was at a GTG this weekend (not my pic):

42961635b12f3353fe30ff0c87ddb80815fed1aa_2_750x1000 (1).jpeg
    BLOW UP and NGO1 like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 12, 2023

Here is my itch scratcher from Baltic. I have the cream dial on order. IMG_0967.jpeg IMG_0966.jpeg

Caliber561, MDubs, scapa and 4 others like this.