Forums Latest Members

Rolex quality control going down?

1. rincondeltiempo Apr 12, 2019

Good afternoon OF,

Just arrived from work and surfing the web I came across this video on youtube. It's uploaded on the "Watchfinder&Co" youtube channel, link is the following:

Surprisingly, they feature a Rolex Air-King with a very distinct error on the dial. While not so obvious at first sight, the watch comes with two "9" markers, insted of having the corresponding "3".
    What is your opinion on this?
    The guy on the video says that this watch was assembled and sold and noone noticed, quite weird right?

Hoping to hear your feedback and opinions!

Best,
    Javi.

[​IMG]

superfly and WurstEver like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 12, 2019

Well....The lucky bastard who has this watch had better not send it in for factory service. This will only increase exponentially in value....Kids college fund?

watch3s, To the moon, marco and 7 others like this.
  3. connieseamaster Apr 12, 2019

I saw a double 9 Explorer a year or so ago. I swear Rolex does this on purpose

watch3s, KingCrouchy, Evitzee and 2 others like this.
  4. MG-Speedy Apr 12, 2019

The mistake on my Submariner is not so bad, but look how the 12 o'clock marker of the dial is centered in comparison to the triangle of the pip on the bezel ..... I never saw something like that on my Seamasters....

IMG_2816.JPG

superfly likes this.
  5. starcraft Apr 12, 2019

I don't think so. The fit and finish and feel of a new ceramic sub is wonderful. A random dial with 2x 9's is a happy accident. I understand watchfinder.co may have some conflict of interest regarding Rolex anyways...

6. rincondeltiempo Apr 12, 2019

Limited edition for sure :whistling::whistling:
    I don't know if I would be okay with that ::confused2::

7. MG-Speedy Apr 12, 2019

Not so happy about it either, specially not from the Brand which is synonym for quality. Even my "New turtle Seiko" for 300 bucks has better aligned dial. I will probably bring it in before the 5 year warranty is over...

rincondeltiempo likes this.
  8. FlyingSnoopy Apr 12, 2019

My sub is the same....
    Cheers

9. Jonathan40 Apr 12, 2019

I can’t believe Rolex would miss this in the numerous stages of quality control. And then to be missed by a dealer?
    Aftermarket dial?
    If not then maybe they do have a sense of humour after years and years of clinical delivery and model choices.
    Long gone are the days of choosing the bracelet and date wheel etc on your watch. What do see is what you get and if you don’t like it then go to the back of the list again.
    Adds to the hype if it’s real.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 12, 2019

Google double 9 Rolex. This seems to happen every few years.

marco likes this.
  11. Evitzee Apr 12, 2019

It's a marketing exercise, they do it on purpose to make a few of these watches instantly valuable and create buzz in the media, just like we are talking about it now.

12. Screwbacks Apr 12, 2019

if it is common to all other stocks available at other rolex AD, it could be intentional. with that so many, it's impossible rolex will miss out the obvious upon final quality control.

Edited Apr 12, 2019
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 12, 2019

It might be an intentional error to be picked up by QC... then got released by accident.

rominvicta and connieseamaster like this.
  14. NYCwatchgal Apr 12, 2019

I agree that it may be a marketing ploy. It's so unlike Rolex to miss something so obvious.

15. IanS Apr 12, 2019

Rolex has a bunch of Friday watches.

rincondeltiempo likes this.
  16. athom Apr 13, 2019

same for me...

17. starcraft Apr 13, 2019

I will buy it from you if you're unhappy with it -.-

18. rincondeltiempo Apr 13, 2019

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 15, 2019

Nonsense...

redzer007 and wsfarrell like this.
  20. Evitzee Apr 15, 2019

Why is it nonsense? Because you think Rolex's QC somehow let this pass by accident? The big houses, especially those like Rolex and Patek Philippe, are always looking for ways to 'juice' the market. Patek Philippe pumps a newly discovered vintage watch, gets a lot of press, and then buys it for their museum. And then they release a current model based similarly on the looks of the old watch, insinuating that the new watch will explode in value in the future. "You never really own a Patek Philippe...." and all that nonsense. Rolex isn't quite so polished, but releasing a few of these 'accidents' to the right people is good for business. These are aspirational objects, it always helps to push that idea in people's noggins.