Forums Latest Members

Rolex Pre-Daytona Ref 4048

1. mzinski Sep 10, 2021

I've been provided a really interesting opportunity to examine a 1940's Rolex chronograph. The history is brief and coming to me second hand. It was a watch gifted to the original owner in the mid-twentieth century by the King of Belgium for his work for one of the government ministries. On his passing, his son took ownership and kept it in safe. As far as I can tell from the case back markings, it hasn't been touched since the 90's. I've been soliciting information on VRF and through my network of wis. At this point I feel fairly confident of the watch:
    The watch appears to be a Rolex Chronograph, reference 4048 circa early-1940’s with a later replacement dial and unmatching, replacement case back. The mid-case shape (otherwise known as a Barilotto case), movement (Valjoux VZH 13), crystal, crown, and bezel are all consistent with this reference. The mid-case on a 4048 is typically unmarked as the case back holds the serial and reference numbers. Again, this watch is consistent with this.
    The case back, unfortunately, was replaced with a similar but incorrect case back meant for a reference 4500. This is obvious by the inner case back marking.
    The dial, also, has been replaced with a later reference 6034 or 6234 dial. While it appears original to my eye, there is divided opinion on it being a redial - 80/20 it’s original.
    The hour, minute, and chronograph sweep hands appear original but relumed. There is a possibility these are replacement but it is difficult to discern without an original dial for length reference.
    The subdial hands are replacements. These are not consistent with the reference 4048.
    It's such a beautiful watch I couldn't help but want to share here too. Naturally, if you have opinions on anything I've presented, I'm open ears to it. I'm by far NOT AN EXPERT and continued conversation on any of the details interests me.
    To be clear, it's not my watch, it's not for sale. I only wish it were my watch.
    DSC_0290.jpg
    DSC_0291.jpg DSC_0296.jpg DSC_0298.jpg DSC_0299.jpg DSC_0300.jpg DSC_0304.jpg DSC_0305.jpg DSC_0306.jpg DSC_0307.jpg DSC_0309.jpg DSC_0310.jpg DSC_0312.jpg DSC_0313.jpg

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 10, 2021

Great summary and indeed a worthy watch.

3. southtexas Sep 25, 2021

Uh, just wow.

And I vote dial is original also.