Forums Latest Members

WITHDRAWN Rolex Oyster Perpetual 6084 Pre Explorer $2,850

1. Traveler Feb 26, 2017

This Rolex semi-bubble back reference 6084, so called 'pre Explorer' Oyster Perpetual, dates from the late 1940s/early 1950s. The watch was recently serviced by a local watchmaker, and keeps very good time, functioning as expected.

Dial: Lovely and sought after configuration of applied 'explorer' numerals, crown, and 'dagger' markers. Outer minute track in black. Under the Loupe, the dial shows some signs consistent with age, but looks very good to the naked eye. Leaf hands appear original. No lume on hands or dial.

Case: Stainless steel case shows no evidence of over polishing, and has small scratches and marks consistent with age. Overall very good condition. Caseback is correct semi bubble marked 6084 inside, but has some more significant scratches on the outside (which I have tried to capture in the photos). Flat bezel is in great condition, and adds to the attractiveness of the watch, effectively helping it to wear big for the case diameter. Lugs are drilled on the left side, allowing for quick release and easy strap changing. Crown is screw down oyster type - I'm unsure if it is original to the watch.

Dimensions : 34mm excluding crown. Lugs are 20mm.

Strap : Supplied on Hodinkee smooth taupe calf leather strap in excellent condition (retails for $189).

Shipped : Worldwide and insured, included in the asking price. Watch is located in NYC.

Price : $2,850 net to me. Wire transfer or PayPal (fees paid by the buyer). This is a private sale, so returns are not accepted unless not as described. Many references are available from prior transactions on OF. Please PM me if more information is needed on any aspect.

Thank you for looking, and to OF for the space...

IMG_7163.JPG

IMG_7164.JPG
    IMG_7165.JPG

IMG_7150.JPG

IMG_7152.JPG
    IMG_7157.JPG
    IMG_7159.JPG
    IMG_7160.JPG
    IMG_7162.JPG
    IMG_7166.JPG

IMG_7158.JPG
  2. kkt Feb 27, 2017

Sweet! This is the kind of Rolex I would buy, if I were buying Rolex. :)

3. trackpad Feb 27, 2017

Pretty sure this is the commercially available version of the special OP Rolex gave to Hillary for his Everest expedition, or a very close cousin. (Yes, the one he probably in fact didn't wear and had Tenzing wear while he probably wore a Smiths ...long story!) Just 2mm shy of it's decendant 6610 and 1016 refs...lovely piece, GLWS!

Edited Feb 27, 2017
    davten likes this.
  4. BlueBoy Feb 27, 2017

Absolutely lovely piece GLWS

5. Traveler Feb 27, 2017

Thanks everyone - bumping it for today.

6. Traveler Feb 27, 2017

A couple of members have commented that it is most likely an older re-dial - withdrawn from sale as a result.

Kreindog24 likes this.