Forums Latest Members

Rolex Oyster perpetual 39mm (model number 114300)

1. RolexGod Mar 18, 2018

Hello, new to the forums!
    I am about to purchase my first Rolex and wanted your opinions. I went to the jewellers and tried on the oyster perpetual in rhodium dial, and red grape dial. Both are absolutely stunning but the thing I’m confused about is that the red grape dial in photographs I actually found to be quite ugly and wasn’t to my taste at all, yet when I tried it on at the dealer it was completely the opposite, and now I’m tempted to choose that over the rhodium dial version? Anyone who owns one can you help me please? Or if anyone has photographs to show me that would be helpful. 016893AA-7C83-4CE0-886F-955AC2071326.jpeg 0DF93ED6-ECE4-42A0-B8AA-11E35B00813B.jpeg Thank you muchly:)

Alpha&onega and Riviera Paradise like this.
  2. amanson Mar 18, 2018

IME, it is hard to get a good feel for the look simply by pictures... especially for watches with unique color. In-person always is best (pro tip: visit multiple times). If you like it better, go for it. To me, they both look really nice and I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

RolexGod and watch3s like this.
  3. Jking something intelligent and witty... Mar 18, 2018

Personally i love the rhodium but they both look great. If the grape dial is speaking to you then buy it.

RolexGod likes this.
  4. Jfullm42 Mar 18, 2018

Rhodium dial for me. I look at it as what is going to go best with what you wear. I wear a lot of blues and grays, so it would win out. Can't go wrong with either though and congrats on your first Rolex when you make up your mind

RolexGod likes this.
  5. Riviera Paradise Mar 18, 2018

Both gorgeous.

Rhodium more conservative and perhaps a better bet in a smaller collection. Grape dial a bit more fun. Really depends on your personality and which one sings out more to you.

I would choose the grape dial...I think it is pretty a unique color combo.

RolexGod and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 19, 2018

Depends what else you have. I have the red grape and love it. It’s actually a great dress watch and looks great on black leather. That said I have a blue AT, a blue datejust a white datejust and explorer etc etc so it makes sense that I would get a different color.

The rhodium is a very effective color and more versatile than the red grape, so if you don’t have a big variety on your collection it’s a color you may wear more.

For the record, I wasn’t looking for a red grape, like you I didn’t even pay attention to it until I tried it on. We actually went to the store to get a watch for my wife ( the blue OP “explorer”) and we walked out with both. Not the most elegant pic, but my dog likes it 5B0B52BA-CAAE-483D-A663-F296F4C93AC1.jpeg

Edited Mar 19, 2018
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 19, 2018

As an owner of a watch with similar concerns... ie it’s not an everyday piece... a45.5mm Orange Planet Ocean Chrono...

I love it but it’s not the most useful watch in my collection it’s casual or yacht party lol. It’s just a bit limited in scope esp on the business side.

If you have a decent collection and it really speaks to you get the grape it's a very cool piece. If it’s your only watch in that niche get the rhodium which is an amazing watch you will never get tired of. Suit of any color it works, shorts and BBQ with friends it works.

8. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2018

I think the blue dial also looks great, even better than the rhodium.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. speedbird Mar 28, 2018

I’m a little late to this party but I wore the 114300 Rhodium for a year and a half and while it’s nearly perfect, it has one flaw: visibility. Under certain lighting conditions the grey dial, sapphire crystal and white gold hands coalesce into a bright, silvery, unreadable, blinding mass.

Otherwise, it’s the only watch one would ever need

10. heccsat Apr 6, 2018

Have you seen the 2 new color versions? White and black.

Alpha&onega and watch3s like this.
  11. watch3s Apr 6, 2018

definitely considering one, but not at msrp

12. 77deluxe Apr 6, 2018

+1 Rhodium. You might get tired of grape.

watch3s likes this.