Forums Latest Members

Rolex OP41 for Datejust 41

1. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2021

I would like to get points of view of the idea of exchanging an OP41 124300 for a Datejust 41 that Im starting to like very much.

Is this risky? Would you do it? General considerations of value etc

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 24, 2021

I have the OP41 in silver and would definitely exchange it for a DJ41 in blue. I never wear the OP, but would love the DJ41.

Which OP41 do you have?

3. stevec14 Aug 24, 2021

I would do that - however which variation of DJ are you looking at and what OP do you have. A fluted bezel and you’ll likely be adding a good few thousand to the OP. A smooth bezel, less (obviously).

blufinz52 likes this.
  4. Rado63 Aug 24, 2021

The current OP41 is quite hot on the secondary market. But you didn't mention which dial you have in the 124300, and what configuration you want in a 126334. If I had a 126300 , Turquoise, yellow or red dial I would be keeping it. The 126333 again depending upon the dial is available close to MSRP on the secondary market. You can probably purchase the DJ41 at an AD at retail, less likely to get a OP41 from the AD right now. The DJ41 just in case you are not aware is actually a 39mm watch it is not 41mm. The DJII was a true 41mm watch. I have never owned or handled the OP41 so if size is a deal breaker, measure the OP41 and let us know what it measures across the case. The DJ, obviously has a date, but also has more polished surfaces, polished center links, subject to more scratches, and both watches have the same easy link extension. The DJ41 also offers more variety with a choice of bracelets, bezels, and TT if interested. As far as the DJ41 I only find three dials interesting, the azzurro blue, blue sticks, Slate aka Wimbledon. The OP may be a little hot now and that is because of the dial colors, not really a better watch, but all dials offer lume where only the stick dials are lumed on the DJ. Both would retain their value but if speculating, I want one of the three dial colors I mentioned on an OP41 or the DJ41 with a Wimbledon dial seems to be upholding value best.

5. Davidt Aug 24, 2021

Personally, no.

I like the all brushed modern OPs (36, 39 and 41mm). One of the best, most rounded watches in the current Rolex catalogue. Pretty much perfect for an every day sports watch.

Modern DJs on the other hand leave me a little underwhelmed (although I have a secret affection for the new patterned dials). Vintage DJs, even up to the 162xx are much more appealing.

6. rcs914 Aug 24, 2021

Never been a fan of the fluted bezel on a DJ, but I love the old engine turned bezels.

7. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2021

Thanks all. I have the silver day with gold accented sticks. Was thinking about a rodhium dial with jubilee bracelet DJ41

8. stevec14 Aug 24, 2021

Fluted or smooth bezel?

9. AngelDeVille Aug 24, 2021

That's a tough call, I'd prefer the no date of the OP, but jubilee trumps all

10. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2021

Smooth

11. stevec14 Aug 24, 2021

Ok, so now we can probably help. I don’t think there’s any risk in doing this - but as you see some prefer the cleaner OP. I personally would take the DJ over the OP every day - the jubilee bracelet is great.

I suspect as a trade with a grey you’ll have to put money in.

If you sell the OP separately then I suspect with a small wait you could get one from an AD for MRSP.

I’d do it though. I had a smooth blue DJ with jubilee and it was a cracker, and personally I’ve never particularly liked the OP’s.

best of luck - and look fwd to the pics

12. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2021

Definitively better try to sell it apart. Looking at ebay price is increasing. They are between $10-11k including used. There are some outliers in the $9k mark.
    It would be difficult to say good bye to it as it is a simple but good looking watch. The gold details give a nice shiny look but maybe I started relating this simpleness and dial color galore to something more for recent graduates and not something to someone close to 40.

13. stevec14 Aug 24, 2021

I don’t think the OP is necessarily a younger persons watch, but tastes change and I do know that once you start to have your head turned by another that it’s hard to turn back.

I would go for the change. It’s a great watch and I think you’ll enjoy it. It crosses the casual/ dress divide pretty well IMO. It wouldn’t be cheap, but you could buy the oyster bracelet for a change up from RSC too.